What's your thoughts on Brian Wampler's new Video Courses?

Fizz

I found this cool video where Brian was showing how to build a StewMac pedal kit and add your own mods to it. A really cool video where I learned some stuff. It was cool how he traced the circuit.. never would have thought about that.. and even mentioned PedalPCB since they sent him the PedalPCB version too. But early on he mentioned his video course.. I was just curious what you all might think about them? They seem a little pricey to me:

I thought about it. But the longer I think about it, the farther into the course I would end up starting. So it’s losing its value the longer I don’t get it.

Personally, I’m more of a reductive learner. Start with a task, and keep asking hows and whys until you get where you want to be.

All that said, I could still see myself getting into the later sections. But I can also buy enough parts to do several builds, which can also be a learning experience.

I also have mixed feelings about courses like this. A lot of times they are marketed as “get these videos, learn x and then you can do y”, without pointing out that you actually have to put in the effort to get the value out of them.

I have bought stuff like this before though. For example, this is pretty cool:

imo, these courses seem to be aimed at people that are usually too lazy to seek out their own learning resources, which are definitely out there and freely available. GeoFex/R.G.Keen, https://sound-au.com/index.html, RobRobinette, for example. google works too.

money probably better spent on going for more challenging builds. depends on the person i guess.

and honestly, if you've never had a build error and been through a troubleshooting process involving an audio probe + tracing your build with the schematic on hand, you've probably missed out on a huge learning curve.

If I was STARTING OUT, I might consider it.

I just watched a vid of him modding a BMPOA, swapping out the initial gain-stage for a transistor stage and tweaking the tone stack a little.
While I like how he explains things for the lay-person or newb, for their sake, it slows down the video-tutelage for those more experienced who, for instance, already understand that there are differences and pros/cons for wiring up inverting vs non-inverting op-amps...

So, no. At this point, the vids would be of little interest to me, even though I'm sure there'd still be some nuggets of info for me to learn.

Last night, I was jamming at a friend's place and he had the JHS Notaklon he'd put together — yet he asked me to diagnose and fix his '80s era MXR Dist II. I guess what I'm saying here is, there are all levels of involvement/interest and the video courses will be of use to some while others will feel ripped off and some will carry on without the vids and fail and others succeed...

Back