Which soldering iron do you like?

I had tone of issues with that cheapo station. Mine takes at least 5 minutes to come up to temp, it has no recovery so it gets cold super easily. Good only for a couple of pots in a guitar but for PCBs I wouldn't recommend it.
yea thats how I feel about my current iron, takes forever to heat up and when I use a damp sponge sponge for cleaning, it seems to take forever to heat up again after the fact.

If you want a GOOD iron, but not spring for a full on station- check out the Weller W60P temperature controlled iron. High enough power that it has FAST heat up and recovery time, but the temperature control ensures it won’t get too hot and fry heat sensitive components (the same reason why lower watt irons are often recommended as they won’t get too hot)
Only caveat is that you MUST use the stand recommended for it, as other stands may be magnetic and mess up the temp control and allow it to burn out. End of the day this iron is about half what a typical Hakko station is. I know I had mine for nearly 2 decades now, and used it on everything from big bus wires in tube amps to delicate, tiny SMT components- never an issue.

I did recently pick up a Hakko station, which I love, but the old Weller still gets love from time to time if I need to do a quick repair etc and I don’t want to deal with setting up the station etc.

Last edited:
I started out late last year, and this is one of the best decisions I made when initially buying tools:
1713966175287.png
Really, really glad I didn't start out with a crappy iron. The FX-888D is a pleasure to use, well worth it. I'm sure there are some great cheapo ones out there, but I didn't want to (literally) burn through a bunch just to eventually get the Hakko.

I started out late last year, and this is one of the best decisions I made when initially buying tools:
View attachment 73775
Really, really glad I didn't start out with a crappy iron. The FX-888D is a pleasure to use, well worth it. I'm sure there are some great cheapo ones out there, but I didn't want to (literally) burn through a bunch just to eventually get the Hakko.
I upgraded to one this year as well. Very nice setup! Prior to getting this (and my Weller W60p 20 years ago), I would burn through 2-3 cheap irons yearly doing my amp work.

@Robert Is it possible to merge this with

So that all the good reviews and recommendations are in one place?

@Robert Is it possible to merge this with

So that all the good reviews and recommendations are in one place?

Done.

The FX-888D is a pleasure to use, well worth it.
For a little over a hundred bucks, I think it's silly to not get one of these or something equivalent from Weller or whoever.

Fast heat up time means you can shut the iron off whenever you're not actively soldering something, and not letting it sit in the stand at full temp means the tip isn't oxidizing, and going to cause you trouble.

Getting one of those and learning some discipline about keeping the tip nice really changed how much I enjoy soldering.

Back