Which soldering iron do you like?

I use a Weller WLC100. Cheap, works great. Heats up quick enough and stays there. I tend to ride the fader on the temp and there are no frills so I don't have to RTFM. +1 on the brass squiggles

1699548548375.png

I use a Weller WLC100. Cheap, works great. Heats up quick enough and stays there. I tend to ride the fader on the temp and there are no frills so I don't have to RTFM. +1 on the brass squiggles

View attachment 60139
I used one similar to this for 10 years. Got it on mono price for $14.99 when I was first starting out. It still works, I just decided I needed something better.

I’ve had good luck with my Weller W60P temp controlled iron, which I’ve had for over 20 years now. Temp control protects delicate parts, but the 60w element means it will recover faster from soldering ground wires to back of pots on guitars, or ground busses in amps.
Only downside I’ve found is that you MUST use their specific stand as the temp control is magnetic and cheaper stands could cause it to overheat- but even that’s held up well.
Still on my original tip! Only thing I’ve had to replace was a few weeks back I finally had to replace the sponge in my stand.

As someone who cheaped out on irons before dropping the $$ for a good one, I will again repeat the sentiment: buy once, cry once

Last edited:
I used Hakko stations for over 20 years before getting my Pace stations.

If I needed a new soldering iron and wasn't going to get another Pace it'd definitely be a Hakko.
I don't mind the Fisher Price "My First Soldering Iron" color scheme. I always assumed the blue is meant to blend in with blue ESD-safe workbenches. Like others have mentioned, I much prefer the older FX888 with the knob.

With that said, if you don't mind spending a little more I would highly recommend the Pace ADS200.

I bought a Yihua 939D+ back in May of 2021. In April of 2022 the soldering iron handpiece failed and started to overheat no matter what I had the base set to. I ordered a replacement handpiece and used it maybe a dozen times since April of 2022 until now and once again the handpiece has started overheat.

So what are good starting points for soldering irons? Ive seen so many things lately that my brain is fried, currently Im "using" a 15watt nexxtech that Ive had for years. Its done the job for the tings Ive used it for but Im certain I should upgrade. Im assuming 60w is good enough but also at the same time how much heat is to much? Ive seen a butane one that states 1300 Celsius, I used to keep one in my car for automotive side of the road type crap. Dont worry I have no ontention on using something like that for building but at the same time curious if you could lol. Ive aslo seen some cheap 120w adjustable irons 200-600 celsius, something tells me that 120watts is exagerated, is it? Anyways to keep things simple, what sorta heat should I be trying to land on for 60/40 and I guess no leaded solder.

Not to derail your thread or sound rude, but there's a search function here and this specific topic has been covered with lots of suggestions (six pages of them, actually).

Lots of good stuff in that other thread!

My limited experience is that I started with no knowledge or skills in 2019 with this:

It work fine (for about 35 builds and a few guitar mods). Last fall I upgraded to this:

I feel it is a substantial increase in quality. And I like how it only takes about 20 seconds to get to temperature! It was recommended by Dave Friedman on a Tone Talk episode.

Last edited:
Not to derail your thread or sound rude, but there's a search function here and this specific topic has been covered with lots of suggestions (six pages of them, actually).

yea my bad, I guess I should learn to search before asking lol. Thanks for the heads up.

My limited experience is that I started with no knowledge or skills in 2019 with this:

It work fine (for about 35 builds and a few guitar mods). Last all I upgraded to this:

I feel it is a substantial increase in quality. And I like how it only takes about 20 seconds to get to temperature! It was recommended by Dave Friedman on a Tone Talk episode.
alright perfect, thanks man. Ill check it out, I mean Im guessing Friedman knows what he's talking about lol.

It work fine (for about 35 builds and a few guitar mods). Last fall I upgraded to this:

I had tone of issues with that cheapo station. Mine takes at least 5 minutes to come up to temp, it has no recovery so it gets cold super easily. Good only for a couple of pots in a guitar but for PCBs I wouldn't recommend it.

I had tone of issues with that cheapo station. Mine takes at least 5 minutes to come up to temp, it has no recovery so it gets cold super easily. Good only for a couple of pots in a guitar but for PCBs I wouldn't recommend it.
I assume you're talking about the Economy Solder Station. Yeah I would usually wait about 5-10 minutes after turning on before soldering. And, I forgot to mention, over time it seemed like the same temperature setting provided somewhat different results, so I was adjusting the temperature from time to time.

Back