Whole heart distortion

DailyDovetails

I have been playing with this circuit on my breadboard for a little while. I built an Acapulco gold after doing a deep dive listening to Earth, Boris and Sunn O. I found it to be too high gain for me to use often so I started looking into how to mod the LM386. The spec sheet for it was interesting how you can adjust the gain by putting a resistor and cap between pins 1 and 8. In my research of other projects I found the cap probably isn’t necessary. There is also apparently a bass boost that you can do with this op but I didn’t really investigate it as it has enough bass for me as is.

Now that I was able to adjust the gain I found that on the lower gain settings the treble was fairly obnoxious and noisy in the higher gain ones so I did some reading on tone stacks and added a low pass filter between the 2 op amps as it seemed I could conveniently change a few values and add a trimmer and make one. I also adjusted the input cap to dump some of the sub bass frequencies.

I’m fairly happy with the sound of this circuit now. With it turned up it does all the sustain and chug I think I will ever use. With it turned down and my guitar volume knob down it makes for a pretty clean boost that breaks up nicely when turned back up.

My plan is to build this into a 2 knob enclosure one knob will be volume the other a dual pot that controls both gain circuits. The treble will be an internal trimmer that I lower to where the treble is not annoying on the clean settings. The artwork for this project will be based on artwork my daughter used to make when she was little.

I am hoping some of you who are more circuit inclined than myself might be able to take a look at what I have come up with and offer suggestions related to noise and general circuit design and improvements.

Some of the questions I had while putting this together were why would I use inverting vs non inverting inputs. I felt that both were similar when I tried them but think I slightly preferred it inverting. Another question I had was about tone stack placement. It seems to work fine where I put it but how and why would I put it in one area vs another?

Thank you to everyone who has contributed here. I find myself reading on here often and have come much further in the short time I have been doing this that I had imagined I could.

Any suggestions on programs to draw circuits? One that is free, available on Linux and leads into circuit board design would be my preference. KiCAD? The space available in my brain to learn additional CAD programs is limited so I want to pick a good one to start.

Attachments

• IMG_5983.jpeg
    IMG_5983.jpeg
    669 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5981.jpeg
    IMG_5981.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 20
What a great project!

Looking forward to seeing your daughter's artwork on the finished pedal.

I've got the free version of Eagle, but still prefer to draw up schematics on DIYLC. I'll let others make more knowledgeable recommendations.

Regarding inverting vs non-inverting...
IIRC Brian Wampler had some good technical info on why to choose one over the other; however, I'll give you my own lay-builder's thought on it:

To me it doesn't matter whether inverting or non-inverting is used SO LONG AS THE FINAL OUTPUT IS NON-INVERTING.
I want the same phase-relationship that went in to the circuit to come out of it; so if I have a one transistor circuit that inverts the phase, then I want another inversion to take place via another transistor or inverting op-amp so what comes out is the same as what went in.

Why? Because I play bass and often like to employ a clean blend on the signal. If the phase of the wet-signal is inverted, then it clashes with the dry-blend and sounds muffled and horrible. Lots of circuits that sound good on their own will sound horrible when blended. I'm not keen on the DynaRoss comp variants, mostly because this style of circuit often cuts too much lows but also because the stock circuit won't accommodate a clean-blend.

Aside from the clean blend, other circuits may or may not behave well when presented with an inverted signal — I don't know, and most of the time (90% or ?) it doesn't matter if the signal gets inverted. For those times when it does matter... well, I think all circuits should never be allowed to invert the signal.

[/soapbox rant]

As for the tone-stack placement. Does it do what you want/need it to do where it is? Some people are okay with slightly increasing bass as they turn up the gain, others want a flat response no matter where the gain or volume is put. Take the Dist+ circuit as an example, have a look at where and why Brian moves the gain pot from its stock location to his preferred location in this Premier Guitarticle.

Tone stack is the same, to reiterate: is it doing what you want? There's been a few recent discussions on the forum about tone-stack placement, you'll have to seek them out as I haven't bookmarked them. A clean boost into OD creates more saturation, whereas that clean boost after OD just makes the existing character of the OD louder. So, to flog a dead horse, what do you need/want the EQ to do? If you put a passive EQ at the very end of your circuit, will there be enough oomph from the front of the circuit to push the EQ and not have the EQ obliterate the signal's strength? The Muff has a recovery stage after the EQ 'cause it needs it badly. Some circuits have EQ bass mids and treble spread out throughout the circuit, not all tidily clumped together like a Fender tone-stack.

Search this forum, DIYSB, Freestompboxes, and other DIY forums for reasons why EQ may be better placed mid circuit or post circuit. BuddytheReow has some great tutorials in this forum's Test Kitchen. You'll find good analysis and info of circuits at Electrosmash, Beavis Audio, Coda Effects, and ... I'm forgetting a bunch. Check out Brian Wampler's How to design customize and build effects pedals – you can download the PDF, there's a link somewhere on the PedalPCB forum for it. Also check out his Co website:

Explore RG Keen's The Secret Life of Pots
Jack Orman's AMZ website and blog
Steve's Small Bear legacy stash of info — alas, SynthBearSmallCube effectively no longer stocks books, or I'd recommend a couple.

Sorry if this is redundant info to you. I've picked up smatterings of info all over the map of my pedal-building journey, and still have so much to learn.

TLDR:
Those more knowledgable may have more succinct advice for you.

What a great project!

Looking forward to seeing your daughter's artwork on the finished pedal.

I've got the free version of Eagle, but still prefer to draw up schematics on DIYLC. I'll let others make more knowledgeable recommendations.

TLDR:
Those more knowledgable may have more succinct advice for you.

I appreciate the response. I am still working through some of it. Many of the resources you recommended I haven't yet explored so thank you. I installed DIYLC onto my Chromebook and it seems like it will be a good fit for the time being.

I assume EasyEDA would be available for you since its browser based. I use that and found it pretty intuitive. It's nice that its connected to JLCPCB so you can port the boards straight over after you design them and get a little discount.

I also use the snot out of EasyEDA - most intuitive interface I've seen and The Tone Geek has a good video on how to use it.

Back