Wondering if using flux on our usual pcbs (Aion's, Lectric FX, PPCB, etc.) is really necessary ?

I never thought of fluxing the braid, thanks for that.

I wonder if there is a relation between the amount of flux residues from the solder, and the iron temperature.

Isn't it possible to minimize the amount of residues by finding the right temperature for the iron ? The right setting will probably vary according to the size and the brand of the solder.

I'd think there are more flux residues around the pads when the iron is set too high, for example.

I will try and report soon, when my next order will be delivered.

There will be a Cream Pie Fuzz, I guess it won't matter if I test on this one, it's just a fuzz after all...
Residue, I think, would be fixed —based on the amount of flux in the solder, or how much additional flux you add. The amount that goes up in smoke will be relatively negligible to the total amount.

An optimum temperature could not be easily adhered to, because of different component lead sizes (pit-back vs 1/8w resistor vs IC-socket vs wire-gauge etc), choice of tip, soldering technique, preferred base-temp of iron/station…

Some like to use more heat to get in/out fast, others use thinner gauge solder-wire & use less heat, some use lead-free…

Ultimately, you need to find ALL the variables that work for you.

Trial & error, with info from threads like this thrown in, seems to be the only way.

Back