Woodpecker

Erik S

I put this together about a month ago, but it didn’t work initially, and then in the process of fixing all my mistakes I wasn’t sure it was "done" and it never got a build report. Now I've got a few to catch up on, so I guess I'm calling it done.

Looking back at the dates on the photos I drilled the enclosure for this almost 6 months ago. Mistake #1 was slipping with my step drill and over sizing the hole for the toggle. I machined a brass bushing to take up the slack and fit it with a dress nut. Pretty pleased with how that came out.

Mistake #2 was in component ordering. I think I had read other build reports on these and should have known better, but I rolled the dice on some ebay 2n6027s and got burned. If I remember right I think it passed sound but didn't tremo-lize. I placed a frustrated late-night Mouser order for a few central branded ones, and those were of course good.

Mistake #3 was a resistor value. Classic multiplier error. I think I was putting the board together late at night and wasn't very focused. Pretty easy fix, but I used one of these cool wired LEDs from AES and when I realized I was going to have to desolder both the DC jack and the LED to get the board out I was extra bummed. I ended up snipping the resistor out from the top side, plucking the legs out with pliers and the iron, then pre-snipping the new resistor and installing it from the top-side. First time I ever tried that and it seemed to work pretty good. Could also be a good trick for a component swap that's trapped behind a pot.

I guess technically mistake #4 was that LED. It's got an internal resistor, which I didn't plan for, and I populated the on-board CLR. The result is kinda dim, but I'm okay with it. I'd rather have it dim than superbright any day.

I didn't catch mistake #5 until after I had played with the pedal for a while, and it took me a while to decide not to fix it. The toggle is supposed to be on/off/on for three speed ranges. Fortunately the missing middle-mode is ludicrous speed/ ringmod-y sounds that I don't care about enough to pull the board. If I very carefully wiggle the toggle to the middle I can find a dead spot where I can hear what it should sound like and it's pretty weird.

First impressions are that choppy tremolo is not my favorite. I sold off a Sproing Deluxe to a friend, and I was hoping this was going to fill that hole for me. It's grown on me some since, but I'm still going to build another Sproing.

9BA9DDA3-0E16-4D97-A52D-080F9EEC73E2.jpeg
ABBCC853-1182-456B-8878-C9E9B7F807C3.jpeg
9C77C418-E58C-4CAB-B079-6EF1E0C7AE5A.jpeg
DFC55FA9-868B-433B-A56E-1EA27E6B639C.jpeg
6F1F50EF-8593-4B24-B20F-03CC1DAD172C.jpeg
61F7F4E7-D913-4F6A-93F2-D93F74E8AA0D.jpeg

I machined a brass bushing to take up the slack and fit it with a dress nut. Pretty pleased with how that came out.
Dude, I'm not only jealous of your tools, but your skills as well. I was just about to ask you where you got the switch hardware when I read that you made it yourself. I don't know what to say...

Dude, I'm not only jealous of your tools, but your skills as well. I was just about to ask you where you got the switch hardware when I read that you made it yourself. I don't know what to say...
Just to clarify - I made the bushing, but the conical dress nuts are from tayda if you’re looking for those:

Back