XC Phase (MXR Phase 90)

Hirti

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
The MXR Phase 90 was the first pedal I ever bought, back in the summer of 2007 after playing for about a year. I came across this video during the early days of YouTube and thought it had the coolest guitar sound ever created. However, it mostly sat in my drawer since then because I didn't really know how to use it. Eventually I sold it at the start of the pandemic. I always thought I was a Phaser kinda guy and hated Chorus and Flangers. Turns out, it's the other way around! But I found myself kinda missing it after selling it, so long story short: Here's the HRT Phase 90!

Looks-wise it's obviously heavily inspired by the original. Since Tayda began stocking orange sanded enclosures a while ago it was a no-brainer to base the design on the original. I've seen some folks on here mentioning some LFO noise and suggesting replacing the bottom IC with a TL022. I bought one for that just in case but mine seems to be dead quiet.

phase90 (2).jpg
phase90 (1).jpg

Yes, they do work. But are lower specs chips with different silk screening.

I found a fake one I keep for these purpose, fake on the left, original on the right. You can see the Texas Instruments logo also looks very different

View attachment 63768
It's funny if you look at Texas Instruments spec sheet & it shows a the Top Indent but all spec sheets do.
Apparently the LM358 is a common cloned/substitute.
I was told to use Acetone to wipe over it, if the print doesn't come off it should be legit but their getting very clever with rebranding thes days!

It's funny if you look at Texas Instruments spec sheet & it shows a the Top Indent but all spec sheets do.
Apparently the LM358 is a common cloned/substitute.
I was told to use Acetone to wipe over it, if the print doesn't come off it should be legit but their getting very clever with rebranding thes days!

Yes! I tested some with a oscilloscope a few years ago and they behaved exactly like lm358.
About using acetone, I have to try, but I just looked closer and this one from the picture above is actually etched 🤯

Back