Unusual activity with Klone in bypass mode.

Svenson007

Hey guys I have a Klon to a friend which was fine when I shipped it. But he says the unity level is just beyond noon, and that in bypass mode the volume control still works! Obviously pics help etc. But I don’t have it back with me yet.

So just a shot in the dark type answers wound be really appreciated.

I feel like it has something to do with the buffer? Or maybe grounding?

P.a He says it sounds fantastic otherwise. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cheers guys

The Kliche I built last summer does the same thing. It also only works with the jacks outside of the enclosure. I haven’t been able to fix it, but I suspect something with the dual gang pot. Double-check for anything grounding out.

I recently had some weird issues with my Paragon build that only occurred in the enclosure. It turned out to be a short between the LED bezel and the two tone pots (yes, both!). Does it work out of the enclosure?

The Kliche is one of the PCB's that kicked my ass. Finally gave up. Really weird I've built 3 successful ones. But my problem was no diode clipping at all. It was like the diodes weren't in the circuit. Never figured it out and just been salvaging parts off it as needed. (There's a boatload of electrolytic caps on it:)

I recently had some weird issues with my Paragon build that only occurred in the enclosure. It turned out to be a short between the LED bezel and the two tone pots (yes, both!). Does it work out of the enclosure?
I had this too! I ended up having to bend the legs a tiny bit of the potentiometer to give some space.

I knew I remembered someone else having a similar issue. Definitely sounds like something making contact with the enclosure or metal body of some piece of hardware.

https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/kliche-strange-issue….6978/

To the OP: quadruple-check that nothing is touching anything it shouldn’t…

This is most likely a physical connection issue of some sort.

Either incorrect wiring, a bad footswitch, or something is making contact with something it shouldn't.
The first thing was correct. I ran a guitar pick between the dual pot and the pcb. And somehow that solved the issue. Must have been some microscopic connection of some sort? Crazy. I removed the pot and slapped some electrical tape on it just in case.

The main problem I have had with Klones is that I never like them. I've built a few... The one which really bums me out is the Duocast. I've built three. The first one worked perfectly except I used a 3-way switch instead of a DPDT. The second never worked at all. Not a peep. Checked component values, polarity of caps, soldering - everything. Never got any sound at all. So I built a third exactly how I built the second and it works perfectly.

The main problem I have had with Klones is that I never like them. I've built a few... The one which really bums me out is the Duocast. I've built three. The first one worked perfectly except I used a 3-way switch instead of a DPDT. The second never worked at all. Not a peep. Checked component values, polarity of caps, soldering - everything. Never got any sound at all. So I built a third exactly how I built the second and it works perfectly.
Yeah I’ve always been luke warm on Klons. I’ve found it handy to have around though. Sounds nicer then an ehx soul food I had for a bit. That really bums me out about the duocast! I just ordered a couple … and the not so cheap transformers.

Are the Klon and Broadcast similar? I thought they were pretty different?

Ahhhhh that’s a bummer. I just ordered a couple Duocast pcb’s… and transformers etc. Hope I have some good luck from the pedal gods.

Sorry - went off-topic. Yeah as Svenson007 says, they are very different pedals. But Klons have always worked for me as far as I can remember except for the bit where I want to use them. I have friends who rave about them but they do nothing for me.

Back