Soldering Mat

There's just so bloody much static here, especially in the winter months. I've got a grounding bracelet, but I need all the help I can get for protecting MOSFETs etc.

Thanks to all who addressed my questions.

There's just so bloody much static here, especially in the winter months. I've got a grounding bracelet, but I need all the help I can get for protecting MOSFETs etc.

Thanks to all who addressed my questions.
Not usually much trouble with static here in the southland, plus I put a whole house steam humidifier in

Until about two years ago, I just always used a scrap piece of chipboard, that I would replace as soon as it looked too much like a war zone. Other than how bright the almost cyan colored silicon on the mat I bought is, I’ve liked having all the little boxes around the perimeter. A few have magnets, but the main area doesn’t. In the damp of the SF Bay Area, static is just not something I think much about anymore.

I’m really surprised that some mats are more staticky than others though—does anyone know if this is due to the chemical components in the silicon used, or?? And silicon is a good insulator, how does that work?

Been thinking about this recently, as Chicago can be pretty arid/static-prone...

I have one of those blue silicone mats from Amazon, and it's been great. Realized recently that static likes silicone, at least sometimes.

Anybody actually using an ESD mat (& wristband?), or just focusing on not shuffling through shaggy carpet on the way to build??

I'm the only one using an old bath towel? Mostly just leftover from when I was doing lots of vintage hifi restoration, needed something to prevent scratching the finish on xformers/front/side panels while working on an amp. But now I solder PCB's on it because it's on the bench with the soldering iron.

Still wondering - is anybody here using a full-on static dissipative mat? Seems many of those aren't very heat resistant like the silicone ones, though. Been thinking about something like this to replace my blue silicone mat: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NVJSZ9R

It's "anti-static", but not static dissipative. You have to ground a clip that hangs onto the edge of the mat... Really not sure if this is worthwhile, or if there's a better solution. Maybe none of you bother with this..? Very curious.

Do you take any anti-static measures? Trying to see if I'm overestimating the risk of NOT using a wrist strap and/or dissipative mat...

I've had a MOSFET transistor that was junked because of ESD, so I think the threat is real unless it was just a bad transistor.

However, since then ... so far I've been careful enough with my ICs.

This past winter I finally got some proper humidifier action going which helped reduce static tremendously, though still present.
Now that spring sproinged and the furnace isn't running as much (so neither is the humidifier), I've noticed an increase in static again, getting shocks from switching on/off lights, screen-door handle to let the dog out, and ESD while petting the dog herself. I'm talking visible arcs in broad daylight, not always, but sometimes enough of a charge builds to not just feel it but to see it.

I considered getting a grounded silicon mat, but haven't purchased one yet. (may still get one yet);
what I currently use seems to be sufficient:

- Wrist strap, as Msr Klippton noted, and
- ESD-resistant tweezers/bamboo-chopstick (or wood)/and other ESD-resistant implements;
- Bamboo chopping block instead of a mat (have a green cutting mat under the chopping block).

I suppose it depends on where you live and other factors (hardwood flooring or fully-carpeted home?) as to how bad ESD affects each individual;
I certainly think I've got ESD-trouble not as bad as others, but worse than some fellow builders here. The dry, cold, high-prairie is a "breeding ground" for ESD.
I've had to taker a break from building for a few months. Hoping I can get back on builds amidst all the spring chores, will report back here if any ESD-changes are for the worse.

ESDrama-king signing off

I'm the only one using an old bath towel? Mostly just leftover from when I was doing lots of vintage hifi restoration, needed something to prevent scratching the finish on xformers/front/side panels while working on an amp. But now I solder PCB's on it because it's on the bench with the soldering iron.
You are not the only one! I use the Panavise circuit board vise for soldering board connections. I do use a grounding strap when building/repairing on PC's or building pedals boards. Not required for 500v capacitors... Some day this will be a 1959 Fender Bassman 5F6-A with a three way NFB, an internal HT fuse, a raised ground reference for the artificial 6.3vdc center tap and dual bias pots... and a partridge in a pear tree :sneaky:
04.04.2024 progress.jpeg

You are not the only one! I use the Panavise circuit board vise for soldering board connections. I do use a grounding strap when building/repairing on PC's or building pedals boards. Not required for 500v capacitors... Some day this will be a 1959 Fender Bassman 5F6-A with a three way NFB, an internal HT fuse, a raised ground reference for the artificial 6.3vdc center tap and dual bias pots... and a partridge in a pear tree :sneaky:
View attachment 73589
The loose threads are a key feature, great for snagging on clipped leads and sticking to flux residue.

Now that spring sproinged and the furnace isn't running as much (so neither is the humidifier), I've noticed an increase in static again, getting shocks from switching on/off lights, screen-door handle to let the dog out, and ESD while petting the dog herself. I'm talking visible arcs in broad daylight, not always, but sometimes enough of a charge builds to not just feel it but to see it.
Yep, same here. I've noticed random shocks from door handles, and a silicone part-holder has even crackled! Not great. In the meantime I'm wiping some surfaces with dryer sheets. Works on guitar pickguards, but you have to do it semi-regularly.

I think I'm just gonna pull the trigger on that grounded silicone mat - the static dissipative thing seems to be for people working with VERY sensitive electronics more regularly.

I do have esd-safe tweezers and pliers, so that's somethin I guess!

I'm surprised with all the amps you build you don't use a chassis holder. This photo doesn't show details, it's one I built myself after looking at various designs. Will handle pretty much any chassis size. IMG_0333.jpeg

I'm surprised with all the amps you build you don't use a chassis holder. This photo doesn't show details, it's one I built myself after looking at various designs. Will handle pretty much any chassis size.View attachment 73718
It's on the build list!

Do you have a turntable under the base? I was going to use one I've had for ages. Put a knob on it so I can screw it down to stay still after positioning.

I need to build Alan W's chassis-holder with RU1's turntable — well, I need to build two, actually.

One for my Amp Sifu and another for myself.

hmm sensing some deja vu regarding the "need to build two"...

Back