Timbre Man (HamishR + Chuck D Bones design), Custom PCB

MattG

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
PedalPCB has the Danae, which is based on the Ibanez TSV808 Vemuram Overdrive, which itself is supposed to be a Timmy-Tubescreamer Hybrid. @HamishR tweaked the TSV-808 circuit to his liking to make the Timbre Man. In turn, @Chuck D. Bones worked his magic to produce his version of the Timbre Man.

I read the description as "Timmy with a mid-boost control", which is conceptually something I've always wanted. So, I jumped straight to making a PCB for it (as opposed to breadboarding or some better-suited-for-experimentation medium). Thus, I had some bugs in my first PCB, and I also think I may have made an assembly error, as I thought the tonal controls seemed a bit off. But, I finally finished my buildup of the pedal with the revised/corrected PCB, and though I've so far only done a quick sanity test, I think it sounds great! Tonal controls seem very well balanced. It's not a high gain pedal by any means, certainly much lower gain than what a Timmy is capable of, but I think it starts to dip its toes into the mid-gain waters. After finishing up this build report, I intend to put it through its paces in a practice session.

In my next PCB designs (I've got a few in the queue), I'm taking a page from @Robert's book and trying to make the layout a bit more aesthetically pleasing. I've always tried to do layouts such that the trace length is minimized and trace routing is easier. But I've found that I don't necessarily succeed on those goals (still have some long and/or convoluted traces), and it makes for a decidedly less-satisfying assembly experience. I was building this PCB up along with several PedalPCB boards at the same time (I've got a little assembly line going this weekend!), and my layout was bordering on frustrating compared to @Robert's. Besides being aesthetically pleasing, the component placement on PPCB boards is very intuitive. It's something you might take for granted until you spend too much time hunting for components on a hacky layout like mine!

I did splurge for a four-layer PCB here. Totally unnecessary, but it does make the trace routing easier, and I find overkill to be oddly satisfying. :) I also integrated a non-latching relay bypass. That with the NE555 will make it a battery-drainer, but the upside is a "premium feel" momentary footswitch (my personal preference) and simplified off-board wiring.

The enclosure finish is a film-free waterslide decal. It looked way better on the computer screen, the effect is a little underwhelming here.

Thanks @HamishR and @Chuck D. Bones!

Attachments

• IMG_7066.jpg
    IMG_7066.jpg
    652.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_7064.jpg
    IMG_7064.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_7063.jpg
    IMG_7063.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 120
I really like the art design. That is perfect. The soldering is also stupendous.

Thank you!

Looks great @MattG
What are you doing for the switching? Is that the pedalpcb relay design?

Yup, it's the PedalPCB basic (non-latching) relay bypass. I've used that in several builds now, it's great. The only real downside is if you run on battery, a non-latching relay consumes around 20ish mA continuously while the effect is enabled, and the NE555 itself is a rather current-thirsty chip.

So how do you like the sound? I am really impressed with this version of a Timmy (obviously!). For some guitars I like my 4-knob Dane but for twang and low-end definition the Timbreman can't be beat for what I do.

What guitars are you using with it?

Lovely build!

I breadboarded this and really enjoyed it. I have a PCB design in place as well but I’m on the 3rd take to make cleaner traces. ( pots make things challenging!

Really nice layout! You really appreciate Robert's layouts when you try to do your own. I've yet to try 4 layer, do we know if PPCB boards are? If they're 2 layer, then his layouts are even more impressive!

Back