Mouser Project Lists [Suggestion]

I don't remember which site, but one of them had mouser project lists available for their PCBs. I think this would be an amazing addition to the site. Maybe it would be too much work for PedalPCB themself, but maybe we could crowd source and have verified lists or something.

It would save a lot of people time and also maybe help newer people who are a bit lost when choosing parts.

That's a good idea and me still being new, I first tried MOUSER and was overwhelmed by everything. Way too much stuff to sift through and running the chance of wrong lead spacing or getting components that are way too big or flat out wrong.

However, that all changed when instead of Mouser or Digikey I switched to stompboxparts and Tayda. Easy as pie to get all my parts in one place since they only do guitar pedals vs. Mouser/Digi which does everything under the sun.. I sourced an entire pedal from Stompbox and an entire pedal from Tayda - everything. All I had to buy was the PCB and breakout IO from PedalPCB. I will likely not be using Mouser/Digi etc... unless I need something really wacky. If Mouser is kicking your ass, try Tayda or stompboxparts instead.

I don't remember which site, but one of them had mouser project lists available for their PCBs. I think this would be an amazing addition to the site. Maybe it would be too much work for PedalPCB themself, but maybe we could crowd source and have verified lists or something.

It would save a lot of people time and also maybe help newer people who are a bit lost when choosing parts.
Aion has Mouser lists for some (not sure if all) of their projects. Example
I agree though, would be a cool addition! Even the same at Tayda would be nice if only to ensure you don't forget something, haha. Just last week I forgot to add a single potentiometer (needed 3, only added 2 of that value) and had to pay extra to get one domestically rather than wait two weeks for a new Tayda order to arrive....

Tangentially, what I would love to see would be in addition to the parts listed by pcb position, a grouped list of parts ie: Resistors (1/4W) 1K - 10pcs. 1M - 5 pcs. Or at least make the parts list easily copy/pasted into excel so that you can add everything up. This would make it easier not only for ordering, but also for getting all the parts together when you go to start a build.

Tangentially, what I would love to see would be in addition to the parts listed by pcb position, a grouped list of parts ie: Resistors (1/4W) 1K - 10pcs. 1M - 5 pcs. Or at least make the parts list easily copy/pasted into excel so that you can add everything up. This would make it easier not only for ordering, but also for getting all the parts together when you go to start a build.
Agree - I've seen a few build docs before that have a "shopping list". Very helpful!

What I ended up doing is a bit overkill, but... I ended up doing everything in Google Sheets. I have a workbook with a number of spreadsheets for parts, and a number for builds I want to do (or have done). I populate the build sheet with a list of parts from the documentation, and then there are formulas to reference the other sheets that have component prices and how many I have in stock. So if I want to build something, I can see its total cost and which components I have to order.

What I'd love to have is a "build it" command which subtracts one of every component from my stock so that I don't have to keep recounting every few pedals...

Like this idea. It takes me hours sometimes to find and source the right parts. Would also have interest in generating a parts list that we could help with other vendors. Maybe an xls table where each row is a part and includes links pointing to Mouser, Small Bear, StompBox Parts etc. Eventually could be tied to specific builds to generate a list. Big data exercise, but with enough people and some QA think we could do it :)

@PedalPCB if we could talk about your process for putting together build docs, I could write a program that generates the parts list page with a section of grouped parts. I assume the program you're using to design PCBs is spitting out the current parts list?

I could then write something everyone here could use that, given a list of build doc urls, retrieve and parse the PDFs and create a "master list" for a bunch of projects. I could build that parser right now, but, if we agreed on a format for a grouped section in the build docs, that'd make it a lot easier bc some of the build docs are inconsistent right now (list vs. table format like page 2 here)

In either case we'd need to backfill all the old build docs with the new format.

Does this make sense? Do we want this?

re: generating mouser cart, I started work on this using the mouser api bc I hate waiting for the full page to refresh when going back and forth between selecting resistor values for example. The thing here is this program would need configuration so that people could set what brands and values they want for components like: 100ppm koa vs. 50ppm whatever resistors or cap voltage or 5% vs. 10% caps etc. there would also need to be fall backs when mouser might not have enough stock for some parts. Personally, I use the aionfx recommendations for components but not everyone here does so idk how many people would actually want this if it wasn't configurable.

The thing is more time pedalpcb puts in the build doc less time he has for tracing and releasing new projects. This site as a ridiculous amount of output when it comes to new projects, as much as it would be nice to have more detailed docs, I wouldn't want that at the cost of new projects :p.

Plus using mouser is a learning curve, but when you know a bit more about component sizes, package, etc as you gain experience in the diy pedal hobby, using the filter option really becomes easier and easier!

I can dump XML files but at the moment it involves some manual editing to be 100% useful.

The XML dump includes a few symbols that aren't physical parts (I/O ports, net connections, etc) and there isn't a lot of embedded info about the components (voltage rating of caps, etc).

Before you start writing a bunch of code, let me get a few minutes so I can shoot you a PM.... I have a system I want to put in place soon(ish) and this would definitely be a good time to integrate it into your work.

I could post verified Mouser parts lists for my builds.

But, as someone who's been sharing Mouser lists for many years, I can tell you they require a lot of maintenance as part #'s change and parts go out of production, and stocks dwindle.

You'd almost have to commit to updating them 3x a year to make them worthwhile. But if everybody adopted 1 part list, it wouldn't be too hard.

Back