opinion and differences between D3lay and the hydra?

djmiyta

wondering if any one has built both and their likes and dislikes between the 2
thaank you

I haven't used the space delay algorithm but have used the other two in an arachnid. I'd put the tape delay in the same general vibe as the hydra having the degrading repeats but the hydra is much more. The 4 switchable heads give you some flexibility and rhythmic complexity that the others can't accomplish. I also think the sound of the hydra is warmer or something I'm struggling to describe. So a D3lay will be more versatile while the "binsonesque" hydra is my preferred old school echo.

If the d3lay had the tape, the kaleidoscope, and the pitch delay, that would give the hydra some competition for me.

Cool thank you . Which would you say has cleaner delay? The 4 switchable heads is intriguing but I have a couple of delays with degrading echos and looking for clean repeats

Ok so reading about the arachnid and being clueless to EEPROM the arachnid is what? You swap out preprogrammed EEPROMs and get different effects ? If it’s as simple as that I’m in. Programming EEPROM s? Later. As long as I can get preprogrammed ones
I’m assuming not every pre programmed one will work on the arachnoid or can they be programmed (the EEPROM) to get an arpanoid like/type effect or organizer etc. using the arachnoid platform?

The FV-1 is the IC that does all the work. It is the DSP in this case. It's a 28-pin SMD IC.

The EEPROM is where the effects are stored. It can hold up to eight different effects.
It is an 8-pin through-hole IC that looks similar to an opamp. You can socket it and swap it for different effects.

There are two multi-purpose FV-1 PCBs here, the Arachnid and the Pythagoras. They are basically identical functionally, the only difference being that the Arachnid uses an 8-position rotary switch and can use all eight slots of the EEPROM. The Pythagoras uses a 3-position toggle switch and can only access the first three slots of the EEPROM.

You're exactly right, you can swap out the EEPROM and have a different set of effects with either PCB. Any effect in the "EEPROM Builder" will work on either PCB.

The Octagon, Spatialist, and Module 8 projects all include the same Arachnid PCB with a different EEPROM.

The Daydream, D3lay, ThreeVerb, and Unison projects all include the Pythagoras PCB with a different EEPROM.

Any of the EEPROMs will work in either PCB, but as mentioned above, the Pythagoras PCB can only access the first three algorithms on the EEPROM.

The Hydra, DMD-2, Organ Donor, and Deflector all use a specialized PCB. The EEPROMs for these projects will not function as expected in any other PCB, and any other EEPROM will not function as expected in their PCB.

The Leprechaun is the oddball of the group, it doesn't use an EEPROM. Instead it uses one of the internal programs included in the FV-1.
This one also requires a specialized PCB.

The HAARP EEPROM will technically work in the Arachnid PCB but since it doesn't have a "Direction" toggle switch one of the knobs would behave as the direction control. (Below Noon = Down, Past Noon = Up)

Back