Two Tone Fuzz transistor layout?

Kroars

Can anyone confirm if the Two Tone Fuzz has the typical CBE layout or is it ECB for GT402’s like the original? Thanks!

The "Nub" on the transistor case is the emitter. So if you are looking at the topside of the board, I believe they are CBE.

How about the Q1-3 order? I put sockets on mine and forgot to see if they were listed on the silk screen since there is no build doc.

In the original:
Q1 - GT402D
Q2 - GT402D
Q3 - GT402B

The pinout is indeed the typical CBE (Tab is emitter). I should have marked those on the board.

I stuck with the usual footprint because I thought most folks would just use their favorite Tone Bender MKII set. (or these days, whatever is available I suppose)

I'll have the doc posted shortly.

In the original:
Q1 - GT402D
Q2 - GT402D
Q3 - GT402B

The pinout is indeed the typical CBE (Tab is emitter). I should have marked those on the board.

I stuck with the usual footprint because I thought most folks would just use their favorite Tone Bender MKII set. (or these days, whatever is available I suppose)

No worries, I can twist legs like a pro! Thank you, kind Sir. :)

I just picked up this board when it came back into stock, is the build document coming soon and what kind of hFE should I look for for the 3 transistors?

In the original:
Q1 - GT402D
Q2 - GT402D
Q3 - GT402B

No build docs. I did a search of the forums and Robert posted something like this on another thread. You can literally use any PNP that fits Tone Bender specs.

No build docs. I did a search of the forums and Robert posted something like this on another thread. You can literally use any PNP that fits Tone Bender specs.
I saw that thank you I'm just wondering how you knew what components to use for the build, I'm not new to soldering components to a board but have no idea how to populate it with out a list saying what R1 is or cap1 is

I've been building pedals and working on my guitars/amps for a long time. I have organized cases I bought from Harbor Freight filled with everything I need to build pedals. I have numerous kits of resistors/capacitors/etc.

All of PPCB's boards have the component values silk screened on the pcbs. While the image online of the PCB usually doesn't have the values, the actual boards themselves do. So since I already have everything I need, I just buy the boards from here and if they don't have build docs, no biggy, I just follow the values printed on the boards and fill them with the piles of components I've horded over the years

I've been building pedals and working on my guitars/amps for a long time. I have organized cases I bought from Harbor Freight filled with everything I need to build pedals. I have numerous kits of resistors/capacitors/etc.

All of PPCB's boards have the component values silk screened on the pcbs. While the image online of the PCB usually doesn't have the values, the actual boards themselves do. So since I already have everything I need, I just buy the boards from here and if they don't have build docs, no biggy, I just follow the values printed on the boards and fill them with the piles of components I've horded over the years
Perfect thanks for that info, I've also got a shoe box full of components, hopefully I'll have what I need, wont have the ICs though

Yeah I think it's a tc1044, I'll check when I get home from work. I've been "splurging" for the Lt1054's, been getting too much noise from the tc1044's and the lt1054 have been dead silent for me.

Yeah I think it's a tc1044, I'll check when I get home from work. I've been "splurging" for the Lt1054's, been getting too much noise from the tc1044's and the lt1054 have been dead silent for me.
Interesting. I haven’t noticed any noise with the 1044’s. I’ve got at least a hundred of them. Next time I build something that takes one, I’ll compare it to the 1054. How does the 7660 compare? I’d imagine closer to the 1044.

I'd love to see a gut shot of your two tone fuzz

Last edited:
Back