Analogman TS Silver Mod

Ctrl4Smilerz

There is a lot of hype surrounding this mod on the net but I can't seem to find any information of exactly what it changes. Does anyone know?

Its 1/2 mojo gimmick and 1/2 normal awesome values.
It basically changes the input caps to .047uf to balance the tone, add bass and knock back the mids. Some "NOS" diodes that are just a hint more fv (think .6 to .8) so you get a touch more headroom compared to 1n914s, and then the electrolytic in the path get changed to hifi caps or "hi end audio" bipolar electrolytic for best sound. Of course the IC gets changed for an NOS 4558.
There are several changes in the power section, mostly same value hifi audio caps.
What do you have? SD1, TS9?
Only a few modifications needed to hit what you want.

Its 1/2 mojo gimmick and 1/2 normal awesome values.
It basically changes the input caps to .047uf to balance the tone, add bass and knock back the mids. Some "NOS" diodes that are just a hint more fv (think .6 to .8) so you get a touch more headroom compared to 1n914s, and then the electrolytic in the path get changed to hifi caps or "hi end audio" bipolar electrolytic for best sound. Of course the IC gets changed for an NOS 4558.
There are several changes in the power section, mostly same value hifi audio caps.
What do you have? SD1, TS9?
Only a few modifications needed to hit what you want.
Do you happen to have any sources for that info?

Do you happen to have any sources for that info?
sorry, just saw this.

Sources: I have a TS Silver and have repaired several SD1 Silvers over the years. (SD1 almost always a wire breaking: re-trim and place back on, and fixed).
But yeah, nothing crazy, just "hi-fi" audio parts, and NOS stuff.

Cool, thanks for responding! I was mainly curious about the diodes. I've always seen that part of the mod described as changing them to a series pair. Are you saying it's just a different diode with higher fv?

Cool, thanks for responding! I was mainly curious about the diodes. I've always seen that part of the mod described as changing them to a series pair. Are you saying it's just a different diode with higher fv?
yes. It looks like the old NOS ones that came stock in a few: the blue stripe diodes. Some are Toshiba 1S1588 and one looked like the ol' MA150 that sometimes is used in the KOT. So slightly higher fv: 1n914/1n4148: is a 0.6fv, and those others run 0.7 to 0.75fv.

Singles on each, unless the SD1 was left asymmetrical, then one side is a series pair.

Back