DOD FX33 Buzz box octave 1/2 Switch mod

im building up this pcb from Griffin FX Buzz king..... and i saw that the octave secion is a MXR blue box...... i have seen many mods for the Blue Box, but the one that interest me the most is the 1/2 Octave switch for the CD4013 chip..... im not so experienced with mods, etc...

here below i attach what i have seen is the mod and the buzz king Schematic...... i think the cd4013 is a flip flop and has 2 same exact sides and pinout for left or right side of the chip..... just i cant wrap around my head on how to implement this mod from the one schematic to the another

any guidance or a small schematic for that section will help me out a lot on this mission...... thanks a lot in advance

Attachments

• z1.png
    z1.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 7
  • z2.png
    z2.png
    115.8 KB · Views: 7
  • z3.pdf
    460.8 KB · Views: 2
The way I would do it -

Lift the side of C29 that's connected to pin 13 of the 4013, and attach it to the middle leg of an SPST switch.

Attach one of the outer lugs of the switch to the now open hole where you lifted the leg of C29. This is the the stock -2 setting

Attach the other outer lug to to pin 1 of the 4013. This is the -1 setting

Edit- Assuming there hasn't been a revision, this is the pin of C29 you'll want to lift
1000017906.jpg

Last edited:
The way I would do it -

Lift the side of C29 that's connected to pin 13 of the 4013, and attach it to the middle leg of an SPST switch.

Attach one of the outer lugs of the switch to the now open hole where you lifted the leg of C29. This is the the stock -2 setting

Attach the other outer lug to to pin 1 of the 4013. This is the -1 setting

Edit- Assuming there hasn't been a revision, this is the pin of C29 you'll want to lift
View attachment 60507
😍 Amazing!!!
Thanks a lot for the quick response!

I may give it a try tomorrow.. seems pretty straightforward mod

I was thinking if it could be possible to separate the octave section and put it on a 2nd foot switch? If possible.. how could i possibly implement this another mod?

Thanks a lot and kind regards

😍 Amazing!!!
Thanks a lot for the quick response!

I may give it a try tomorrow.. seems pretty straightforward mod

I was thinking if it could be possible to separate the octave section and put it on a 2nd foot switch? If possible.. how could i possibly implement this another mod?

Thanks a lot and kind regards

Are you wanting an Octave on/ off or just a footswitch in place of the -1/-2 toggle?

Yep! Unless someone beats me to it, I'll draw up a diagram after work.

Something like this would be easiest and allow you to do octave on/off or have two preset blend levels
Thanks a lot for the effort.. somehow i saw some infos for that mod, on the doc from Griffin Buzzking V1, i just couldn't understand exactly how that goes on the 3pdt

That 2 knob job looks very interesting as well.. thanks a lot for the enlightenment and your help

Thanks a lot for the effort.. somehow i saw some infos for that mod, on the doc from Griffin Buzzking V1, i just couldn't understand exactly how that goes on the 3pdt

That 2 knob job looks very interesting as well.. thanks a lot for the enlightenment and your help

Here's the wiring I'd use for the -1/-2
1000017946.jpg

A DPDT can also be used, just pretend the middle column doesn't exist in the drawing

For an octave kill, this should work -
1000017947.jpg
You'll want to lift the center pin of Q11, attach a wire and run it to the switch. The other two switch lugs would just get tack soldered to lugs 2 and 3 of the Heavy / Mix pot.
LED setup would be the same as above

@bilisnegra13 sorry to high jack the thread but I'm building this now and for C26 and C27 it's calling for .22uf electrolytic caps. Is this right? Don't think I've ever seen .22uf in electrolytic.

Edit: upon further Googles, turns out .22uf is a thing. WTH.

Last edited:
@bilisnegra13 sorry to high jack the thread but I'm building this now and for C26 and C27 it's calling for .22uf electrolytic caps. Is this right? Don't think I've ever seen .22uf in electrolytic.

Edit: upon further Googles, turns out .22uf is a thing. WTH.

You can use just film caps there. Or a single 100n - 1U cap bridging the two negative lead holes

Back