DEMO Celsius-Boss CE-1 Preamp

This post contains an audio or video demo

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
I decided to build this and had asked @Robert a question about it and he included it in my next order. This is the newer version with the fix for noise that the first release had. So shout-out to the guy in charge for improvements and being such a generous dude.

I originally built the karaoke chorus which is an adaptation of the ce-1 chorus with some welcomed additions and changes to make it quieter, cheaper to build and more versatile. It did lack the preamp section though. I was on the fence to build this because the first version had noise issues but Robert fixed that and I knew I had to have it for my collection. So what does it do?

It's a very subtle tone shaper, some might say sweetener, much in the same vein of the clandestine preamp. It's not in your face, but it does add a certain depth and dimension to the tone. The high/low input sensitivity switch will give you a very different range of gain depending on where it's set. While many like the drive character the pedal can bring, I prefer it's tone shaping at unity volume. And just like the original, run a buffered signal into it or the impedance mismatch will kill your high end.

The build was standard ppcb fair with great layout and no issues. I had to make it match my karaoke chorus theme and vibe so I went with a match Shang-Chi theme. In the video I tried to show it with and without chorus as it's the integral input section of the original unit.

8ycpLwP.jpg
S10vh3h.jpeg
aLKu934.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to build this and had asked @Robert a question about it and he included it in my next order. This is the newer version with the fix for noise that the first release had. So shout-out to the guy in charge for improvements and being such a generous dude.

I originally built the karaoke chorus which is an adaptation of the ce-1 chorus with some welcomed additions and changes to make it quieter, cheaper to build and more versatile. It did lack the preamp section though. I was on the fence to build this because the first version had noise issues but Robert fixed that and I knew I had to have it for my collection. So what does it do?

It's a very subtle tone shaper, some might say sweetener, much in the same vein of the clandestine preamp. It's not in your face, but it does add a certain depth and dimension to the tone. The high/low input sensitivity switch will give you a very different range of gain depending on where it's set. While many like the drive character the pedal can bring, I prefer it's tone shaping at unity volume. And just like the original, run a buffered signal into it or the impedance mismatch will kill your high end.

The build was standard ppcb fair with great layout and no issues. I had to make it match my karaoke chorus theme and vibe so I went with a match Shang-Chi theme. In the video I tried to show it with and without chorus as it's the integral input section of the original unit.

8ycpLwP.jpg
S10vh3h.jpeg
aLKu934.jpg

Tight. 🌽.

She’s still listing new builds on eBay last I saw.
Maybe she followed Ween on the second leg of their summer tour, and she’s still recovering from the volume, or after it was over she joined a Wook commune in Asheville for a bit 😜

Seriously though, a break from Internet forums isn’t necessarily a bad thing for anyone. The forum will still be here when she decides to come back.

8ycpLwP.jpg
S10vh3h.jpeg
aLKu934.jpg
Yours looks a lot cleaner than my build with the "home made" "fix" for the noise.... :ROFLMAO: .
@Robert 's awesome, he offered me a new version board as well, but I decided to go the surgery route instead for the challenge. The outcome is great! No hiss and that lovely bit of harmonic "fatness" it adds.

Hell yeah, man - that's a great looking and sounding build.

I really appreciate the way you do demos with a looper, by the way.

Yours looks a lot cleaner than my build with the "home made" "fix" for the noise.... :ROFLMAO: .
@Robert 's awesome, he offered me a new version board as well, but I decided to go the surgery route instead for the challenge. The outcome is great! No hiss and that lovely bit of harmonic "fatness" it adds.
I finished this the other week and am getting a high pitched whine with the switch on high; is that what you were facing or a different kind of noise?

very curious what your homegrown fix is!

hm, ok this isn't a hiss, here's the frequency response on high toggle, with the gain all the way up:
1709859882722.png

to me that's something different; i tried three different chips of both ICs, no change at all in sound. it's not the end of the world, but it's living rent free in my head.

Back