DEMO Tough Nut Delay (Ibanez AD9)

This post contains an audio or video demo

blackhatboojum

Remember when I built my Shadowman Delay, and I said that was the last analog delay I’ll probably ever build? Well… I lied. Back then, I didn’t foresee me getting into pcb layout and design like I have and man… have I gone whole hog into this thing.

What I present to you today, is the first of my Tombstone silver mine series of pedals. The Tough Nut delay. Named after the Tough Nut silver mine in Tombstone Arizona, this project was a huge challenge and earned its name. It was a tough nut to crack. Despite the challenges I faced, it turned into something I’m super proud of and gives the 3205 BBD love that it doesn’t get enough of.

So what is it exactly? Well, it’s an Ibanez AD9 analog delay with an extra V3205 delay chip. Rather than just 300ms like the original circuit has, mine offers 600ms. I added a couple other tweaks here and there to make it true bypass friendly but, at its core… It’s the beloved AD9 from the 80’s. Compared to a Boss DM-2 or DM-3, it’s very similar. In fact, if you were to just glance through the schematics, you’d swear that they’re the same. At closer inspection though, you’ll quickly notice that component values are not the same and there’s a bit of extra components on the AD9. Soundwise they don’t sound the same either. Compared to the DM-2, the AD9 is softer, warmer, and doesn’t have the percussive edge to the repeats like the Boss variant. It melds and fades into the background more as the repeats degrade. Compared to my Shadowman build (DM-3), the repeats are also a little darker. Not necessarily a bad thing if your tastes prefer analog repeats on the darker side. All of this actually make it well suited for running it in front of a dirty amp like I do. It gets out of its own way and doesn’t turn to mush like other delays I’ve used in front of my amp.

Overall, I really dig how this delay sounds and even more proud of pulling this one off. I never imagined I’d be making my own PCBs let alone, making an analog delay from scratch essentially.

I was going to give an AZ history lesson with this build report but, I’m gonna save it for when I do a full wrap up of my Ibanez 9 series clones. Yeah, that’s right… the Blackhat Boojum hasn’t hung up his soldering just yet. I’ve got some more build reports coming.

Thanks for looking and I’ll see you on the next one. Oh, I almost forgot… I included a proof of life demo on this one. Not near the quality of great demos I’ve seen on here but, it’s all I got.

IMG_0194.jpeg

IMG_0195.jpeg

Last edited:
Incredible build, as always! Do you feel it sounding darker than the DM-3 on shorter delay times? Because being analog it makes a lot of sense to sound darker on slower repeats. I'm just curious, maybe I should take a look at the schematics!

Remember when I built my Shadowman Delay, and I said that was the last analog delay I’ll probably ever build? Well… I lied. Back then, I didn’t foresee me getting into pcb layout and design like I have and man… have I gone whole hog into this thing.

What I present to you today, is the first of my Tombstone silver mine series of pedals. The Tough Nut delay. Named after the Tough Nut silver mine in Tombstone Arizona, this project was a huge challenge and earned its name. It was a tough nut to crack. Despite the challenges I faced, it turned into something I’m super proud of and gives the 3205 BBD love that it doesn’t get enough of.

So what is it exactly? Well, it’s an Ibanez AD9 analog delay with an extra V3205 delay chip. Rather than just 300ms like the original circuit has, mine offers 600ms. I added a couple other tweaks here and there to make it true bypass friendly but, at its core… It’s the beloved AD9 from the 80’s. Compared to a Boss DM-2 or DM-3, it’s very similar. In fact, if you were to just glance through the schematics, you’d swear that they’re the same. At closer inspection though, you’ll quickly notice that component values are not the same and there’s a bit of extra components on the AD9. Soundwise they don’t sound the same either. Compared to the DM-2, the AD9 is softer, warmer, and doesn’t have the percussive edge to the repeats like the Boss variant. It melds and fades into the background more as the repeats degrade. Compared to my Shadowman build (DM-3), the repeats are also a little darker. Not necessarily a bad thing if your tastes prefer analog repeats on the darker side. All of this actually make it well suited for running it in front of a dirty amp like I do. It gets out of its own way and doesn’t turn to mush like other delays I’ve used in front of my amp.

Overall, I really dig how this delay sounds and even more proud of pulling this one off. I never imagined I’d be making my own PCBs let alone, making an analog delay from scratch essentially.

I was going to give an AZ history lesson with this build report but, I’m gonna save it for when I do a full wrap up of my Ibanez 9 series clones. Yeah, that’s right… the Blackhat Boojum hasn’t hung up his soldering just yet. I’ve got some more build reports coming.

Thanks for looking and I’ll see you on the next one. Oh, I almost forgot… I included a proof of life demo on this one. Not near the quality of great demos I’ve seen on here but, it’s all I got.

View attachment 71209

View attachment 71211

Sounds great!

EDIT: Looks great -- sounds great!
Many thanks!

Wow, that's nice. Good to see the soldering hasn't been hung up.
Thanks! I still have a little bit left in the tank and the iron still heats up.

I agree the demo sounds fantastic! Great circuit layout!
Big thanks here too. I’d love to take full credit for the layout but, I’m just following the footsteps of guys like Brian, Robert, Keefe, Kevin… the list goes on.

My BBD brother from another mother 🙌! You know my ass been walking around like this all day🤣.

Huge thanks Rob! I swear you go out of your way to stroke my ego just to see how I will respond 😉🤣.

Dude… you have no idea how much this .gif encapsulates my response when I powered this pedal up and it actually worked 😂.

Incredible build, as always! Do you feel it sounding darker than the DM-3 on shorter delay times? Because being analog it makes a lot of sense to sound darker on slower repeats. I'm just curious, maybe I should take a look at the schematics!
Many thanks! To answer your question… yes it is slightly darker than the DM-3 on shorter delay times. Albeit, not much. I would say it’s softer rather than darker. Boss analog delays have a sharp edge to repeats where the AD9 does not. It’s by no means like an MXR carbon copy with the repeats but it does kind of trick your ears into thinking it’s approaching that territory.

Epic! Just epic. Great achievement, top inside out.
Wow! Coming from you… this means a lot. Many, many thanks 🙏.

Last edited:
Huge thanks Rob! I swear you go out of your way to stroke my ego just to see how I will respond 😉🤣.

you deserve it… especially for this one. This is more than just “my first overdrive design” you tackled a pretty serious project here. The shadow man is by far my current favorite delay, and I thought there wouldn't be a reason to build another. Then you do this and I’m back on the fence wondering. 🤣

I've definitely been wanting to build an Ibanez delay circuit but grabbed the DM-3 board because it was the closest available. Now I see you're doing the whole 9 series! Love that.

That's slick, great job! :cool:
Thanks John. I've learned from the best😉.

Welp, time to throw yet another project on the pile of the PCB is available. I'm starting to love delays to make fun sounds.
I've definitely been wanting to build an Ibanez delay circuit but grabbed the DM-3 board because it was the closest available. Now I see you're doing the whole 9 series! Love that.
Thanks. I think I'm going to do a limited run of pcbs. Stay tuned to the Trading Post section later this week.

Last edited:
Back