Tube Amp recommendations

chris.knudson

I am in the market for a relatively cheap, low-power tube amp that I can use to test pedals. I don't need anything loud, I just need a small tube amp that I can push with some of the high-gain pedals I am building. Just to put this into perspective, I have a Line 6 Spider V guitar amp and a Class D GK bass amp. Both are fine for what I use them for, but now that i am building pedals (and a lot of these circuits want to see a tube amp on the receiving end), I'm wondering what I can get that isn't too expensive and isn't too loud but will still give me that nice tube break up. Do you all have any suggestions?

5F2-A

just for a bit of reference, i had a little shoot-out the other day with a very similar amp.
even with just a good overdrive you can get these little guys to roar (4x12 helps too)

5F2-A
I don't know if I'm ready to build one. At this point I'm just looking to procure one. I brought this up at band practice tonight, and our lead guitarist suggested a blues junior -- any thoughts?

5F2-A

just for a bit of reference, i had a little shoot-out the other day with a very similar amp.
even with just a good overdrive you can get these little guys to roar (4x12 helps too)
That does sound good though.

View attachment 71735

if an absolute nincompoop like me can do it, so can you.
i can already tell you're way smarter than i am, and would easily have what it takes to do a tube amp build.
honestly, it's easier than a lot of the headfucking pedal builds ive done.
I'm not saying that I can't do it. I'm just saying that I have enough on my plate right now that i don't need to add that to my to my to do list.

Why would you say that -- I can't even spell chorus.
well, i cant even get a FV-1 deflector build to run without all this bullshit artefact noise that apparently nobody else has ever had an issue with.
meanwhile, old mate is over there with a FV-1 hydra build where none of the jack sleeves are grounded, 'shielded' I/O wiring that isn't grounded, and apparently that's all just fine and dandy (i am fucking pissed).

well, i cant even get a FV-1 deflector build to run without all this bullshit artefact noise that apparently nobody else has ever had an issue with.
meanwhile, old mate is over there with a FV-1 hydra build where none of the jack sleeves are grounded, 'shielded' I/O wiring that isn't grounded, and apparently that's all just fine and dandy (i am fucking pissed).
I know dude. I'm tracking your issue. There is definitely something strange on that build. Those noises you are getting are definitely digital artifacts, but for the life of me, I can't figure out where they might be coming from.

EDIT: We'll get to the bottom of it.

shielded' I/O wiring that isn't grounded,
Don't get me started. I've seen so much BS about not grounding input and output jacks and not grounding shielded cables for fear of grounding loops. Little do people know that the difference in resistance between a coper wire and an aluminum enclosure can cause a grounding loop. :rolleyes:

likes his monoprice last I heard.
Wanna chime in?
I can't add anymore. I'm going in the opposite direction and need a bench amp that isn't loud...
Yeah, wanna chime in?

Yeah, I bought the Monoprice/Harley Benton/Laney/etc 5W and it's great.

Okay, some detail: it does lean very bright, which I'm actually glad for. Not a fan of [REDACTED] and other amps in that vein which aim mid-low from my experience. That said, I have to leave the singular tone knob at just below 3, even on the ground, or it's just treble city. Great platform for helping shear off a Big Muff's …excess low-end foliage. I've run my G-2 through it, though, and it just sings…

Very sort of Fender-y. Good pedal platform, from what I've experienced. The 5->1W button does help with overall output without too much tone loss, but 5W is all the gain I'll ever need.

Glad I didn't go with the 15W version, honestly. Just way too much, even though a spring tank along with more ton control is nice. Considered the Bugera 5W, but has a digital reverb, and is about the same money as the Mono 15W. I'm happy with my 5W choice.

Still haven't swapped out the stock, unbranded valves for some J&Js out of a deluxe-adjacent head just for funsies, but I'm interested in hearing the results. Still, I haven't heard anything out of this amp that makes me think "wow, this sucks" but I'm not an amp guy. It's pretty darn close to my friend's Blues Jr. Close enough for my money, but I would like a bit more low-end. Doing a shoot-out of sorts this weekend, though, all through the same gear and chain, just to hear it.

Yeah, I bought the Monoprice/Harley Benton/Laney/etc 5W and it's great.

Okay, some detail: it does lean very bright, which I'm actually glad for. Not a fan of [REDACTED] and other amps in that vein which aim mid-low from my experience. That said, I have to leave the singular tone knob at just below 3, even on the ground, or it's just treble city. Great platform for helping shear off a Big Muff's …excess low-end foliage. I've run my G-2 through it, though, and it just sings…

Very sort of Fender-y. Good pedal platform, from what I've experienced. The 5->1W button does help with overall output without too much tone loss, but 5W is all the gain I'll ever need.

Glad I didn't go with the 15W version, honestly. Just way too much, even though a spring tank along with more ton control is nice. Considered the Bugera 5W, but has a digital reverb, and is about the same money as the Mono 15W. I'm happy with my 5W choice.

Still haven't swapped out the stock, unbranded valves for some J&Js out of a deluxe-adjacent head just for funsies, but I'm interested in hearing the results. Still, I haven't heard anything out of this amp that makes me think "wow, this sucks" but I'm not an amp guy. It's pretty darn close to my friend's Blues Jr. Close enough for my money, but I would like a bit more low-end. Doing a shoot-out of sorts this weekend, though, all through the same gear and chain, just to hear it.
Just be sure to let me know how the shoot out turns out. Inquiring minds want to to know.

Just be sure to let me know how the shoot out turns out. Inquiring minds want to to know.
Well it'll be the Monoprice 5W vs a Tonemaster vs Lil Goldie Phats (custom ~8W) vs Blues Jr.

Interesting, if not entirely apples to apples. Hopefully my eardrums will still be intact : P

We'll probably do tele, strat, and hagstrom (in lieu of an actual LP). Likely a shortlist of pedals: OD, dist, maybe a couple modulation circuits. Nothing crazy, though knowing the three of us involved, we'll take our time.

our lead guitarist suggested a blues junior -- any thoughts?
I bought a used one about a year ago and I’ve been real happy with it. It’s easy to dial in nice and quiet for playing at home, and it’ll keep up with a drum set occasionally while still being easy to carry around.

I’ve looked at some 5 watt amps - it would be fun to have something that would overdrive hard at low volumes, but I’m mostly after pedal sounds anyway, so a little bit of head room is nice.

I hope to get on the amp building bandwagon at some point, but for now the junior is a pretty good all-arounder.

Back