SOLVED Kliché OD eats batteries like crazy

Petethefuzz

Hi gang!

Made myself a Kliché OD. Recently bought a 15w tube head and this pedal really brings it to life. The hype is real. For some reason it drains batteries super fast. I unplug the input jack but makes no difference it seems.
I also noticed that the LED turns on if I engage the pedal even though no jacks are inserted. Is that normal behaviour? I’m fairly certain I wired the power/battery according to build documentation. But I could be wrong

IMG_1013.jpeg
IMG_1015.jpeg

I unplug the input jack but makes no difference it seems.
This circuit has an always-on buffer, regardless of bypass/active state. Your input jack will not disconnect the battery as you currently have it connected. You'll need to use a stereo jack for your input and you'll wire the battery (-) to the ring terminal on the jack. This will disconnect the battery on input plug removal.

This circuit will still consume a battery relatively quickly when the jack is connected. Have you considered using a rechargeable 9V battery or doing away with the battery altogether?

Hi gang!

Made myself a Kliché OD. Recently bought a 15w tube head and this pedal really brings it to life. The hype is real. For some reason it drains batteries super fast. I unplug the input jack but makes no difference it seems.
I also noticed that the LED turns on if I engage the pedal even though no jacks are inserted. Is that normal behaviour? I’m fairly certain I wired the power/battery according to build documentation. But I could be wrong
Your DC jack is properly wired, but the input jack is not a TRS or switching type. To prevent the battery from draining when the pedal is not in use, the typical method is to wire in a TRS or switching jack for the input in such a manner so that when there is no plug inserted into the input jack, the power to the board is interrupted. Swap out the input jack with a TRS or switching jack and run the DC jack's ground wire to the TRS or switching jack's Ring connection point and the sleeve of the jack to the PCB. That way, when there is no plug inserted into the input jack, the PCB Weill not have a complete power supply connection - preserving the battery. Inserting a plug will then complete the power circuit thru the TRS or switching jack's Ring and Sleeve.

TRS_Jack_Gnd_Tip_Switch_Marked.png

Thank you for the quick and thorough replies from all of you. Much appreciated. It makes total sense regarding the input jack. Good points regarding the charge pump and the buffer as well. I’m just using the battery now and a few others pedal too like that because we’re remodelling the house.
Guess I’ll just have to dig out the ol’ pedalboard 👍

Back