DEMO Acer Overdrive (Altero Kaede)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I had never heard of this pedal before @Robert announced in the the "Upcoming Releases" forum.

I have to admit there few video demo's I found of it were not too inspiring but there was some coolness to it so I decided to order the board.

Wow, I LOVE this thing!

It's somewhat reminiscent of the Bullrush Overdrive (Providence SOV2 Stampede). Might be a Japanese thing I dunno, but it's a warm yet raunchy kind of overdrive.

It's definitely in the low-medium gain space but there are a ton of 4148 clippers in it (I think 9, make that 11, total) with a 3 way toggle for clipping options called "headroom".

It's an apt name for the control as each setting successively adds more diodes into the clipping section.

If I'm reading the schematic correctly, the stock setting (or highest headroom) has one pair of 4148s. The middle position has 3 asymmetrical diodes and highest clipping has 6 diodes in a symmetrical arrangement. There's the expected volume drop as you toggle to the higher clipping but this pedal has a lot of output so it's easy to compensate.

At the highest clipping setting with the gain dimed it's pretty raunchy but I found I liked it best in low to medium gain applications, just like the Bullrush which has become one of my current favorite low gain overdrives even though it has a lot of gain on tap.

There's a real organic ampy kind of sound to the drive standalone but boosting and sculpting it with the SushiBoxFX Particle Accelerator opens up a lot more tonality.

I went with the Tayda Gold Metallic enclosure with clear knobs as a nod to the original.
I also drilled the toggle in the wrong spot (spacing out when I was punching it). Luckily I had enough room to maneuver and do the "bent potentiometer legs" move to get it aligned.

Also new on this pedal is trying some of the slim profile enclosed jacks from Amplified Parts. I can't remember who recommended them but I finally grabbed some.
I may have found my new standard jacks for my 1590B builds although some adjustments need to be made with my 1590B top jack drill template.

I took a bit of a swag at how much I needed to adjust for them and was pretty close although I needed to grind the lip of the back to get it to fit.
I have a feeling this is going to be SOP for using these jacks as they just barely clear the top pots with no cover. But it's a lot easier to wire up and a lot easier to plug and unplug the open frame type jacks that I have been using for 1590B's. Cool stuff!

I recorded a short demo clip of the pedal with some knob twisting. Edited out a few minutes of futzing with my delays to get the right sound for the "song" that I played towards the end of the demo. This is an Andy Timmons tune that I heard/saw him play on the episode of "That Pedal Show" where he was the guest last year. I'm not sure if it's an actual tune of his or not but it was so beautiful I had to learn it. This pedal provided just a hint of grit with the setting I was using and I was boosting it with the Particle Accelerator.

edit: Duh….forgot the pics….

IMG_4483.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

Last edited:
Sharp build, as always!

This one is a sleeper for sure. I impulse bought knowing very little about it and was pleasantly surprised. Your demo does it justice, a lot of clarity and chime if you're using a clean single coils. I have yet to box mine, but I might have to "borrow" that clear-on-gold look.

Sharp build, as always!

This one is a sleeper for sure. I impulse bought knowing very little about it and was pleasantly surprised. Your demo does it justice, a lot of clarity and chime if you're using a clean single coils. I have yet to box mine, but I might have to "borrow" that clear-on-gold look.
Yah, I'm really digging it. Low gain for sure but it's got more low end than the Providence SOV2 Stampede, but the gain structure is similar.
Kills on single coils. I haven't tried it with HB's yet.

@Brett I bet you'd love this pedal!

Cool! I'm glad those jacks worked out for you. I thought of you and your top mount B builds when I first saw them.

I still haven't used the ones I bought a while back. Saving them for when I get in a jam and really need them!

Yah, I'm really digging it. Low gain for sure but it's got more low end than the Providence SOV2 Stampede, but the gain structure is similar.
Kills on single coils. I haven't tried it with HB's yet.

@Brett I bet you'd love this pedal!
Awesome build, @MichaelW! The first time I heard Andy play that song on TPS, the house could have been burning down around me and I wouldn't have been able to look away. Your demo was fantastic.

I may just have to put one of these in the cart on my next order!

How do you like those daughter boards with the LEDs? Probably works good for your B builds since you always moved the LED to the side of the footswitch. Do you have to jumper the existing spot on the board?

How do you like those daughter boards with the LEDs? Probably works good for your B builds since you always moved the LED to the side of the footswitch. Do you have to jumper the existing spot on the board?
I like them, saves me a lot of hassle with off board wiring. And yes, you have to jumper the LED pads on the main board for it to work.
It's a simple design.

Awesome build, @MichaelW! The first time I heard Andy play that song on TPS, the house could have been burning down around me and I wouldn't have been able to look away. Your demo was fantastic.

I may just have to put one of these in the cart on my next order!
Andy Timmons has a real "touch" that's just fabulous. That's such a simple progression yet the way he played it had so much emotion and expressiveness in it. I thought it was pretty funny that it mad Dan cry heh. I WISH I could play that expressively.

I discovered only now about this clone! I have the original Kaede and it's an amazing overdrive!
The schematic confirms what I was suspecting since a long time: it's a Timmy kind of overdrive.

Clipping also confirms my assumptions I had when I compared Kaede with TubeScreamer and SD1 emulation in a HX Stomp. Being the the Low mode close to a TS and the Mid to a asym SD1.

This is the demo I did back then about the orginal Kaede:

I forgot to say, that this Kaede has tons of lowend availabel on tap (also with the bass control at zero!) and it does wonders also with synthesizers!!!

Back