New fiber laser is super fast

Looks promising!
Are fiber lasers getting to an affordable (hobby) price yet?

Last edited:
Looks promising!
Are fiber lasers getting to an affordable (hobby) price yet?
Affordable means different things to everyone. I've seen good reports on the Commarker b4 20w. They start about $1600, and there's a ton of great tutorials out there.

I have the Haotian 30w jpt. I do other stuff with it too. It runs about twice that, but if you only want it for pedal stuff, the b20 will be more than enough

@allsmoke -
Very cool!!! I want to understand what the engraving actually is doing in your video. Is it actually cutting into the metal surface, cutting into the paint, changing the surface reflectance, or something else? Excuse my ignorance, I just haven't explored laser engraving on things other than wood or plastic. Thanks in advance.

@allsmoke -
Very cool!!! I want to understand what the engraving actually is doing in your video. Is it actually cutting into the metal surface, cutting into the paint, changing the surface reflectance, or something else? Excuse my ignorance, I just haven't explored laser engraving on things other than wood or plastic. Thanks in advance.
So before with my Co2 laser I could only burn off the paint to leave a the exposed aluminum of the pedal.
With this, I can go down the the metal. Alternatively I can actually engrave directly on metal. Or you can do white or dark engrave onto the powder coat.

Here's an example of the white color on powder coat (pardon the language) in green, and dark on white 1000023416.jpg

1000023421.jpg

I had a k40 style laser for pedal graphics that was just ok.
Upgraded to fiber and it's so much faster. Here's a real time test. Still learning to get parameters but love it.

holy shit, this is fast. I'm used to 3D printing world.

So before with my Co2 laser I could only burn off the paint to leave a the exposed aluminum of the pedal.
With this, I can go down the the metal. Alternatively I can actually engrave directly on metal. Or you can do white or dark engrave onto the powder coat.

Here's an example of the white color on powder coat (pardon the language) in green, and dark on white View attachment 74006

View attachment 74005

So the "Hot Sauce" etch isn't to bare metal, it's in white?

How does it work getting white vs black?

I have access to a 40W CO2 laser at work. I didn’t know painted enclosures were safe to engrave? Aren’t the fumes toxic? And how do you get the graphics well aligned with the enclosure? Trial and error?

So the "Hot Sauce" etch isn't to bare metal, it's in white?

How does it work getting white vs black?
With a diode laser or CO2 it operates on a specific frequency. With Fiber, I have a range of frequencies from 1-600 hz. These pulse frequencies can change the output color, so I can get white, tan, gray, black and in some cases other hues for my output. I just set it up on Sunday, but I'm already seeing better results with some of my trials. So I'll have a better video coming soon

I have access to a 40W CO2 laser at work. I didn’t know painted enclosures were safe to engrave? Aren’t the fumes toxic? And how do you get the graphics well aligned with the enclosure? Trial and error?
I had a Monport K40 that I was using. I couldn't get consistency and the alignment was a pain. Because this is a galvo laser (basically a laser firing at mirrors that direct the beam) rather than a gantry (where the laser is on a rail that goes back and forward), I can position the laser over the work, fire a red light outline, and make sure it's fully aligned before I move forward with the actual etching

I also have access to a (100W) CO2. My plan is to shoot a square box the size of the enclosure on a thin plywood sheet, then position the enclosure exactly on it before I do the graphics on it. The graphics will also have the references for drilling.

With a diode laser or CO2 it operates on a specific frequency. With Fiber, I have a range of frequencies from 1-600 hz. These pulse frequencies can change the output color, so I can get white, tan, gray, black and in some cases other hues for my output. I just set it up on Sunday, but I'm already seeing better results with some of my trials. So I'll have a better video coming soon
Sounds like black magic!

I also have access to a (100W) CO2. My plan is to shoot a square box the size of the enclosure on a thin plywood sheet, then position the enclosure exactly on it before I do the graphics on it. The graphics will also have the references for drilling.
I thought about that as well. You may need a mark on the plywood for the location of (0,0) but besides that it should work.

I thought about that as well. You may need a mark on the plywood for the location of (0,0) but besides that it should work.
Just remember the depth of field may change slightly when you adjust the Z axis after you put the pedal on the plywood. That's where my issue with my CO2 came from. Everything looked great, but it was still slightly off

Yep. Even with great alignment it may be very slightly off. That's why I will engrave the reference for the holes before drilling. So at least everything is off by the same :ROFLMAO:

Holey Moley!

That was in real-time again?

I want a pedal just like that one, I loved the way it sounds. I thought it was a phaser with some added dirt — I was surprised to see the Pi symbol. How do I get my Muff-builds to sound like that?

All kidding aside, I really would love to have a pedal that sounded like that! 😻

f7334735f48d53ccaf9f7605a961eded.gif

AND the laser. That'd be bitchin'. Does it come with the shark attachment?

Back
Top Bottom