Utility Pedal Idea

danwojaz

I had an idea for a utility pedal and wanted to get other peoples opinion before delving into the deep end of R&D and learning how to design pcb boards.

Basically, I want to design a buffer, tone shaper, boost pedal that allows you to switch on and off the tone shaper boost section, but leave the buffer on. There will be no switches on the face of the pedal where tone knobs/ foot switches usually go. Everything will be on the sides. That way you can put mount it underneath a pedalboard, or use it as a riser for another pedal. This would also have a tuner out option.

The purpose of the switch that bypasses the tone and boost circuit is so you can use two guitars and match the level/ tone between the two.

Its basically a mixture of the 29 pedals Euna , Brown amplification fixer or the gig rig Three2One, and the goodwood audio underfacer.

Let me know what you all think, or if it already exists, let me know where I can buy one.

Bits and bobs have been done but nothing with that exact feature set I don’t think. Closest I can think of is the Old Blood Noise EQ+Buffer, it was always buffered and the footswitch turned on or off a 3-band EQ.

Oh, the Empress ParaEQ can be set to buffered bypass, then you’ve got footswitchable EQ and boost. Only things missing would be the tuner out and having all the controls on the side (given the lack of pedals with side controls, not sure how much of a selling point that would be. Like there’s of course a market for under-board pedals, but it’s definitely a smaller market)

Oh, the Empress ParaEQ can be set to buffered bypass, then you’ve got footswitchable EQ and boost. Only things missing would be the tuner out and having all the controls on the side (given the lack of pedals with side controls, not sure how much of a selling point that would be. Like there’s of course a market for under-board pedals, but it’s definitely a smaller market)
I agree. There is not much of a market. This is very niche and really only helps my own personal needs.

I absolutely LOVE utility pedals.

I like the riser idea better than putting it underneath the pedalboard, 'cause then you can access whatever switches/knobs are on the side of it.

A 1590Q (120mmX120mm) would give you enough room inside, and space along two sides for everything you'd need to include (top one for jacks, one side or other for knobs/switches),
and the 1590Q would be big enough to hold 1590BB on down (or even another 1590Q).

You'd only need to decide which side of the board you want it on, on the left or right edge of the pedalboard; 1590Q with top jacks, then the controls facing out to the side, accessible.
I'd leave it unfinished, no paint, just some velcro for whatever is sitting on top of it. 1590Q is only 34mm tall, so a good riser without being OTT...

Better that there is NOT a pedal like this, so you can tailor the build to your exact needs.

I absolutely LOVE utility pedals.

I like the riser idea better than putting it underneath the pedalboard, 'cause then you can access whatever switches/knobs are on the side of it.

A 1590Q (120mmX120mm) would give you enough room inside, and space along two sides for everything you'd need to include (top one for jacks, one side or other for knobs/switches),
and the 1590Q would be big enough to hold 1590BB on down (or even another 1590Q).

You'd only need to decide which side of the board you want it on, on the left or right edge of the pedalboard; 1590Q with top jacks, then the controls facing out to the side, accessible.
I'd leave it unfinished, no paint, just some velcro for whatever is sitting on top of it. 1590Q is only 34mm tall, so a good riser without being OTT...

Better that there is NOT a pedal like this, so you can tailor the build to your exact needs.
I think what I might do for now is put a Euna and a SHO clone in one box. The toggle switch will bypass just the boost circuit. It should be close enough to what I want while I learn how to design my own pcb boards and stuff.

I have some 1590BB enclosures I will use for it. This should give me enough room in the box to have both circuits in there and all of the switches/ 1/4" jacks.

Back