The Ocelot: Modified Univox Super Fuzz

PedalBuilder

Here's my take on the Univox Super Fuzz. I was going for something a bit different and more flexible than the original, so I borrowed some features from the now discontinued Wattson Classic Electronics EFY-6. The main changes are adding an octave control that goes from no octave up to full octave up, replacing the tone switch with a potentiometer, and changing the bias resistors on the output stage to increase the output level above unity. I've included the schematic at the bottom of the post for anyone who's curious.

If I was redoing the board, I'd try to add some more room between the rows of 10µF capacitors and the solder pads for the Octave and Tone pots. I was able to solder everything without hitting the capacitors with the iron, but it was more of a challenge than I would have liked.

For the tone knob modification, I recommend using a B50k potentiometer, as there is a noticeable volume drop in the middle of the rotation when using a B100k. Using a potentiometer rather than a switch slightly reduces the depth of the mid-scoop and height of the mid-hump, and adds some great sounding in-between tones.

For the octave knob, I tried 10k and 5k potentiometers. The most dramatic change to the octave effect happens in the first 1kΩ of resistance; by about 4kΩ the octave effect is essentially gone. As a result, I went with a C5k to maximize the control over the octave intensity.

The Super Fuzz works best with transistors with an hFE between 110 and 140. Using higher gain transistors results in a mushy, less bassy tone, and lower gain transistors sound weak and (unpleasantly) gated. I used 2N5551 transistors from Tayda, which are dirt cheap and have gains between 120 and 135. For Q4 and Q5, I used a pair with identical hFE and VBE values to maximize the intensity of the octave up.

When I breadboarded the circuit, I originally tried germanium diodes, but on a whim I tried some 1N60P Schottky diodes that I bought from Tayda 12 years ago but had never gotten around to using. Compared to the germanium diodes, the Schottky diodes sounded more compressed and distorted, probably due to their lower Vf (0.22v at 1mA vs 0.33v at 1mA for the germanium diodes), and the octave overtones were slightly more pronounced. I preferred the sound of the Schottky diodes, so I kept them in the final build.

The enclosure is a white 125B from Tayda, UV printed with a gloss varnish.

IMG_2777.jpeg IMG_2778.jpeg

Here's the schematic, for those who are interested:

Super Fuzz Schematic.png

And here are the transistor voltages, at VCC = 9.27v.

Q1
E 0.134v
B 0.692v
C 5.568v

Q2
E 4.964v
B 5.568v
C 9.27v

Q3
E 2.971v
B 3.539v
C 6.31v

Q4
E 1.07v
B 1.664v
C 3.32v

Q5
E 1.07v
B 1.664v
C 3.32v

Q6
E 0.186v
B 0.762v
C 5.549v

Super clean! Do you clear the board after soldering to take off the flux, what do you use?
I usually don’t have much flux residue on the board, which I attribute to the Kester solder that I use. I usually have one or two spots that have some residue (like lug 1 of the Balance pot), but I tend to leave those unless they’re noticeably ugly. (If anyone has some good methods of cleaning flux that they can recommend, I’m all ears!)

Whoa! Was this just crazy timing when I recently asked about the octave cut?? Had no idea the schematic you shared with me was slated to be one of your excellent pcbs, man! Looks excellent, and I breadboarded it too- great, great mods. I couldn’t get the upper octave too much, but likely something I missed.

Those 2N5551s you used were under 150hfe, huh? On the Tayda page it says minimum hfe is 250, but that can’t be right… There are some Diotecs at Mouser that say max hfe 80, so who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Ever record clips? I’d love to hear some of these!

Awesome looking pedal!! From the artwork inside, to the artwork outside! I REALLY like the 2N5551, and looks like you popped in 6 of those! Beautiful build, thanks for sharing! I bet it sounds great!

It looks awesome! I really, really like the original univox superfuzz. The octave adjustment is an excellent addition!
I'm trying to remember the transistors I used Maybe SC945? I will have to get back and look.
My mod to the tone was using a dpdt on-on-on switch wired like a pickup selector switch on a guitar. You get a Tone in the middle that is both tone circuits without modifying them.
I really like your explanation of your mods and the board looks fantastic. Are you selling the boards?
The only thing missing is...a Demo!!!

It looks awesome! I really, really like the original univox superfuzz. The octave adjustment is an excellent addition!
I'm trying to remember the transistors I used Maybe SC945? I will have to get back and look.
My mod to the tone was using a dpdt on-on-on switch wired like a pickup selector switch on a guitar. You get a Tone in the middle that is both tone circuits without modifying them.
I really like your explanation of your mods and the board looks fantastic. Are you selling the boards?
The only thing missing is...a Demo!!!
I loved your Superfuzz build report! When I was designing this one I went back and forth on whether to use your on-on-on switch mod or the tone knob. I ultimately went with the tone knob because I fell in love with a couple of in-between settings, but I'm keeping your mod in mind for a future build. I do still have a few boards on hand, so any interested parties can DM me if they're interested.

Back