Shatterbox Schematics

Jiberjew

Hey everyone! I'm looking to design a PCB for a shatterbox style pedal. I've been looking around for some ideas, but can only find PNP schematics, when I want to use NPN so I can use a power supply instead of a 9 volt battery. Has anyone stumbled across these? I want to get a Marc Bolan type of sound. I would build a Zonk Machine, but I like the boost that the shatterbox has. On another note, has anyone seen or built a Dallas Rangemaster? That would also be something I'd like to pair with the shatterbox. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I'm looking to design a PCB for a shatterbox style pedal. I've been looking around for some ideas, but can only find PNP schematics, when I want to use NPN so I can use a power supply instead of a 9 volt battery. Has anyone stumbled across these? I want to get a Marc Bolan type of sound. I would build a Zonk Machine, but I like the boost that the shatterbox has. On another note, has anyone seen or built a Dallas Rangemaster? That would also be something I'd like to pair with the shatterbox. Thanks!!

I don’t what Marc Bolan tones you’re after but it’s probably not going to need a fuzz.

Dirty amp with a Rangemaster maybe but nothing like a Shatterbox would have been involved.

I don’t what Marc Bolan tones you’re after but it’s probably not going to need a fuzz.

Dirty amp with a Rangemaster maybe but nothing like a Shatterbox would have been involved.
I'm looking for the tone he had on Electric Warrior. I'm sure a Rangemaster was there. I've read he used a shatterbox, not specifically on Electric Warrior though. I've never played one, so I'm unfamiliar with the tone's it produces. Thats why I would love to build one. And hey, If its not the tone I'm looking for, at. least I can add another fuzz pedal to my collection. And I don't see an issue with that haha!! I would love to get my hand on, or build a Rangemaster as well. But, that might be out of my league with price and building experience.

Electric Warrior doesn’t sound very fuzzy to me.

Likely a smaller amp cranked up pretty good.

But if you are just looking to build some fuzz, don’t let me stop you!

Shatterbox is definitely more of a S/T T. Rex sound. It's cool but I don't think marc bolan when I hear one haha.

A rangemaster is probably one of the easiest things you can build, go for it!

The Shatterbox is just a Zonk II and a HS Treble boost together. if you don't know how to convert a PNP schematic to NPN, you could build one to the schematic and use a charge pump to handle the power supply issue, or you could build an NPN fuzz face and an NPN rangemaster and just sub the relevant cap and resistor values to those of the Zonk II and HS Treble Boost.

the only T Rex songs I can think of at the moment with blatant Shatterbox usage are 'The Time of Love is Now,' 'Beltane Walk, 'Is it Love,' and *maybe* the very beginning of 'Diamond Meadows'
I haven't seen much to suggest that he used the fuzz side of it after that very much in the studio, nor does it sound like it to me. I've heard that he was a fan of stacking a rangemaster with the HS treble boost side of the shatterbox though-- I think maybe in a post from Tony Visconti on FB a few years ago. if you wanna go super accurate, the HS treble boost has a few cap value differences i think, and doesn't have a level pot on the output. Otherwise, you could try a germanium rangemaster and a silicon rangemaster, and have a go at stacking them.

Side note but since we are talking about T. Rex, with Electric Warrior as a specific album, Bolan would often overdub single note harmonica and mix it in with the guitar.

Some of the high end quality of his tone and the "honk" is that as well. Particularly Mambo Sun, Get it On and Motivator.

It's kind of like the cowbell in Don't Fear the Reaper: Once you hear it you can't unhear it.

Shatterbox is definitely more of a S/T T. Rex sound. It's cool but I don't think marc bolan when I hear one haha.

A rangemaster is probably one of the easiest things you can build, go for it!
I’m definitely going to look more into a Rangemaster now. For some weird reason I was a little intimidated to attempt one, especially as an amateur pedal builder/designer. Still getting my feet wet here, but have been learning a lot here for sure.

Side note but since we are talking about T. Rex, with Electric Warrior as a specific album, Bolan would often overdub single note harmonica and mix it in with the guitar.

Some of the high end quality of his tone and the "honk" is that as well. Particularly Mambo Sun, Get it On and Motivator.

It's kind of like the cowbell in Don't Fear the Reaper: Once you hear it you can't unhear it.
Interesting. I’ll have to listen for that a little closer. Maybe a Rangemaster and a lower wattage amp is what I’m looking for.

Harmonica mixed in with the guitar?! I've never heard of such a thing, that's wild. I've always thought the guitar tones on that album were super interesting, and maybe that's part of why.

For some weird reason I was a little intimidated to attempt one, especially as an amateur pedal builder/designer.
Rangemasters are a great way to get started in pedal building!

In addition to the harmonic trick that @Big Monk mentioned, it’s also worth keeping in mind that there’s a buzziness from the cello lines from Tony Visconti’s string arrangements on, and, on Electric Warrior in particular, a certain grittiness to Ian McDonald’s sax parts. Both of these at times sit behind the guitar in the mix, making it so you hear them without immediately recognizing them as separate from the guitar.

In addition to the harmonic trick that @Big Monk mentioned, it’s also worth keeping in mind that there’s a buzziness from the cello lines from Tony Visconti’s string arrangements on, and, on Electric Warrior in particular, a certain grittiness to Ian McDonald’s sax parts. Both of these at times sit behind the guitar in the mix, making it so you hear them without immediately recognizing them as separate from the guitar.

For supposedly disposable trash music, I always thought that album had great musical arrangements.

Not to mention Flo and Eddie as well!

A true classic.

I still have my mother’s original vinyl records I listened to as a little boy:

IMG_2272.jpeg

For supposedly disposable trash music, I always thought that album had great musical arrangements.

A true classic.

View attachment 78718
2 classics for sure. Even as Tyrannosaurus Rex Marc Bolan made great music. I was lucky enough to score both those albums, original pressing, from a record shop I used to work at. I’ve always tried to replicate the tones from Electric Warrior, with little success haha. But, I am a drummer by trade. Now that I’m a bit older, I’m really trying to dial in my guitar tones to specific artists. Marc Bolan always being one of my favorite.

Harmonica mixed in with the guitar?! I've never heard of such a thing, that's wild. I've always thought the guitar tones on that album were super interesting, and maybe that's part of why.

Rangemasters are a great way to get started in pedal building!
Now that I look at the Rangemaster circuit, it is rather easy. I’ve got a couple PCB’s I’ve designed, and I think I’ll do a version of the Rangemaster for sure! I was intimidated by it for reasons unknown haha.

2 classics for sure. Even as Tyrannosaurus Rex Marc Bolan made great music. I was lucky enough to score both those albums, original pressing, from a record shop I used to work at. I’ve always tried to replicate the tones from Electric Warrior, with little success haha. But, I am a drummer by trade. Now that I’m a bit older, I’m really trying to dial in my guitar tones to specific artists. Marc Bolan always being one of my favorite.

To me it sounds like a smaller amp that is being overdriven. Maybe a Rangemaster but I’m not even really sure I hear too much of that.

A true classic.

View attachment 78718
100% agree. It’s some of the best pop-format rock of the era.

Bolan was the epitome cool
Visconti is one of the greatest rock arrangers and producers of all time
Flo and Eddie are incredible in every sense of the word
Ian McDonald, though only on a bit of the stuff, is maybe one of the most underrated sax players in rock (I mean… King Crimson, McDonald & Giles, Foreigner, T. rex, Steve Hackett…)

And some of my favorite 21st century artists cite T. Rex as an influence, and it shows. Those first few albums were absolute masterpieces, and even later stuff like Zinc Alloy, and Dandy in the Underworld are still some of the best glam pop records to date.

I wonder if it was an AC15 or a small Vampower amp?? Either way, I’ve always loved that tone!

I’m not sure it really matters.

Similar to my comments in the recent thread about obtaining Gilmour’s Hiwatt tone, I think people place too much emphasis on the specific amp brand.

Certainly there is such a thing as Marshall Plexi tone and Vox AC30 tone, etc. but in this case I think any small amp you can crank to the edge of breakup is going to yield that tone.

Back