Mouse Rat (Lab Rat)

joelorigo

Killer!
I never had or tried a Rat until several years ago I bought a used Mooer Black Secret, which I like but didn't really use too much. Several months ago someone here stated that he was a Rat super fan and that the Lab Rat was his new favorite Rat. That's when I decided to get this in the PCB que. I'm going to have to get that Mooer pedal out to see if I was missing something.

Only had a few minutes to try it out but it is obvious from the get go that it sounds great!

I noted that the Bass & Treble controls give lots of variety and ease to dial in different tones, all throughout the Gain range. Clipping switch makes it like having 2 pedals.

Name and graphic are a salute to Andy's band on the show Parks and Rec.

Attachments

• IMG_7967.jpg
    IMG_7967.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7965.jpg
    IMG_7965.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 67
Thanks! You were the one that encouraged me buy the PCB and build it. I'm so glad I did.

I did the graphic design in GIMP, the free Photoshop type program, and it's a clear water slide decal. I actually have another one if you want it. I always try to print more than one, in case I screw up in the application process. Which I have.

That is a really clean looking waterslide decal job. I don't see the lines around the edges or anything. I've already got artwork lined up for my next lab rat build or i would take you up on the decal offer. I socketed everything on my first lab rat but this second one is going to be for a friend that plays live so I am going to solder all the components direct to pcb.
Thanks! You were the one that encouraged me buy the PCB and build it. I'm so glad I did.

I did the graphic design in GIMP, the free Photoshop type program, and it's a clear water slide decal. I actually have another one if you want it. I always try to print more than one, in case I screw up in the application process. Which I have.

That is a really clean looking waterslide decal job. I don't see the lines around the edges or anything. I've already got artwork lined up for my next lab rat build or i would take you up on the decal offer. I socketed everything on my first lab rat but this second one is going to be for a friend that plays live so I am going to solder all the components direct to pcb.
Thank you! Yeah, some decal applications go pretty good, like this one, and some get wonky. Everything about this build was pretty smooth. As we all know, sometimes it's a struggle!

I hope he digs the one you're making for him!

Some have described it thusly:
"Less gain, mellower, 'less aggressive', 'darker' — so might be good for bass. Some think it sounds fantastic in a Rat".

Also, I've read it's suggested to have 100pFd to 300pFd compensation cap.

Other quotes/info I've collected:

"I found the LM301 to sound better in all settings than the LM308. It is also lower noise."

"OP07C sounded quite bad … nowhere near as good sounding as the LS301 — use LM308 or LM301 for a slightly different but arguably better sound."

"i love the 301 too. just a sweet sounding chip. almost sounds like germanium to my jaded faded deaf old ears."

Question for Lab Rat builders. I used the OP07 and it works great! I can’t imagine it sounding better but what about this?

What would I notice if I tried that?
I use LM308AH for my personal builds. Classy metal can but still an LM308. The real ones aren't super cheap, I think around $15 a pop or so, but there are of course abundant Chinese fakes for $1-2 when you buy a handful. I'll be the first to admit even the fake LM308AH sound pretty damn good in this circuit. I've used real and fake, and the real ones don't sound 15x better than the fakes.

Looks perfect for playing some Pickled Ginger with Land Ho at the Unity Concert!

I had a few P&R ideas floating around a few years ago that I never brought to life. This makes me wanna see em through!

Great build!

Question for Lab Rat builders. I used the OP07 and it works great! I can’t imagine it sounding better but what about this?

What would I notice if I tried that?

I've never heard any meaningful difference between different types of opamps in a rat circuit. The difference between an OP07 and an LM-whatever hasn't been any more pronounced than the difference between two OP07s or LM-somethings.

Socket the part and swap to your heart's content, but ime there's no there there. Certainly not in any real world use-case that involves less-than-microscopic attention on a solo'd guitar track.

Back