12BH7?

Silver Blues

@vigilante398 have you (or anyone else) ever tried the 12BH7 in any of the Sushi Boxes? I'd never heard of this before just now and it seems compatible with the 12A_7 series so I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts.

@vigilante398 have you (or anyone else) ever tried the 12BH7 in any of the Sushi Boxes? I'd never heard of this before just now and it seems compatible with the 12A_7 series so I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts.
I haven't tried them personally. My only concern would be that they might be a tight fit in the box, they're shorter than an EL84 but still taller than the 12A*7 tubes. Otherwise they're pin-for-pin compatible, but they pull more current for the heater and their amplification factor (mu) is very low. 12AX7, 12AT7, and 12AU7 have mu of 100, 60, and 20 respectively, 12BH7 has a mu of 17.

All that being said I've heard it's a neat sounding tube with different characteristics. I have a headphone amp design using 12BH7 for the power tube, but haven't actually tried it as a preamp tube.

Back