3 More Builds (Blue Waffle, Nobleman, Aion Fractal)

mhshizz

I got the new covid booster and as expected, it did a real number on me, and that number is 666-420-69. But, taking the day off gave me the excuse to blast through 3 boards I've been sitting on.

Y0okKZs.jpg

A while back I sorted the overdrive section by popularity and scrolled all the way to the bottom and landed on the Blue Waffle OD. Finding out it's a clone of the super expensive Freekish Blues Alpha Drive that ended up being a rehoused Joyo with like one component changed and that the Joyo itself was a copy of the OCD made me laugh, so I bought it. I'm guessing the weird back story combined with the name referencing an old, gross internet meme kept this at the bottom of the popularity list.

I mean, it does sound good, but not phenomenal. The other two boxes I made today are better. I didn't use the highest-end parts I have available since this was sort of a gag build. And my case drilling still isn't very good lol. Also, I didn't realize the Vol and Drive controls were backwards on this, so lmao their labels are wrong. OOF

kJY9IIZ.jpg

ia0f9XQ.jpg

The Nobleman is dope. Used a pre-drilled Tayda box. Sounds mostly excellent, but yeah I totally get all the "too much bass" comments now. Is there something real easy that can be done to tame that? I don't want to add a whole bass control pot. Like a different cap or resistor value somewhere?

NDE9e39.jpg

IRcAeQL.jpg

The Aion FX Fractal sounds real good too. The sweep control is neat. I almost bough the BYOC kit, but I already had most of what I needed so I just picked up a few extra things (dual-gang pot, natch) and went to town; however, I did find out I don't have any 680k resistors, so I crudely soldered together a 470k, 150k, and something else I don't remember now to get my close. I'm really lucky my drilling worked out, as I was real nervous about how much busier this one is--it's still really cramped having gone a little too far north with everything. I don't like having to do the "ground it all to the input jack" thing. The PedalPCB solution is much more elegant. Anyway, this one isn't my best work as the discomfort and Brain Scramblies (any What We Do in the Shadows fans here?) and body aches have gotten progressively worse with every passing hour. Glad they're all done!

H0weDua.jpg

HP070XO.jpg

Last edited:
Those look great! You don’t have to wire a ground on the output jack, that’s already taken care of with the input jack. Since the enclosure is grounded so is the jack.

Those look great! You don’t have to wire a ground on the output jack, that’s already taken care of with the input jack. Since the enclosure is grounded so is the jack.

Thanks! Interesting, so this whole song and dance in Aion's documents is isn't necessary?

vte6Aif.png

How did you make the lettering? Looks really cool!

Thanks! They're little wood stamps you can get at a craft store or online. Takes some practice to make them line up even half good. Like these (plus an inkpad). I have one set for white ink and one for black, depending on the project.

By the way, I know the 2N5457 is getting harder to come by, but Stomp Box Parts still have several hundred

Thanks! Interesting, so this whole song and dance in Aion's documents is isn't necessary?

vte6Aif.png

You do need the ground going from the DC jack to the input jack and to the board. You just don’t also need it going to the output jack.

vte6Aif.png

Thanks! They're little wood stamps you can get at a craft store or online. Takes some practice to make them line up even half good. Like these (plus an inkpad). I have one set for white ink and one for black, depending on the project.

Nice. Do you need to use a special ink to be permanent?

Nice. Do you need to use a special ink to be permanent?
Not really. The "Staz-On" stuff seems to work fine and be reasonably durable. I sprayed one light coat of acrylic clear over some earlier builds, but stopped cause I no longer play live shows and take good care of my belongings. Also, I'll probably give these away to guitar-playing friends or family within a year.

Back