DEMO 3rd Stoned Fuzz (Fuzz Face with extras)

This post contains an audio or video demo

KR Sound

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Once I got the awesome purple handmade and powder coated enclosure from @steviejr92 , I knew I had the perfect board for it. I’ve been practicing layouts with KiCad, trying to improve and learn how to best run traces and situate components. One of the earliest ones I worked on was a simple fuzz face using a TC1044SCPA voltage inverter to stay with center negative.

IMG_9751.jpeg

IMG_9749.jpeg

IMG_9742.jpeg

Getting the actual circuit to work took a few iterations. The first one kinda worked, but I had my pot spacing too close and the wrong footprints for the transistors. If you look closely, you’ll see the what took me a few days to finally figure out later on. I also tried doing the mosfet polarity protection, but, I don’t know. Maybe another time.

Take 2- I laid the board out a bit differently, and this is when I found the fatal error. When I drew up the schematic, I must’ve used the wrong tags for the positive and negative rails because it had them running together at one point. Like out of pins 5 and 8 of the chip. SMH. Ya, that’s not gonna work. The chip immediately started to overheat as soon as I plugged it in. Ha.

So I tried this just to see if I could magically save it by cutting the connection.

Nope. Nice try buddy. I even had the thing all built and boxed. No dice!
IMG_9449.jpeg

Then version 3- I removed the mosfet thingy altogether, renamed my power sections in the schematic and rerouted it. Two weeks later by the magic of JLC, I got it and had to immediately put it together. That was last night and I couldn’t test it until this morning.

PhotoRoom_20231214_142702.jpeg

Glorious fuzz comes through the Twin. I spent a few minutes dialing in the trimmers. I’m using a GT305B @ 87 hFE for Q1 and a R55503 @ 143 hFE. They are both around 150 uA leakage.

This was a great learning experience and Steve’s enclosure is amazing. It looks so much better in person than my pics convey. Thanks man!

Here’s a quick little demo with the Twin volume on 2 straight into Reaper with an SM57. I ride the volume on the Tele so you can hear how it dials back nicely.

Last edited:
Vy7BeYr.gif

mmmm purplely

Nice work, man!

Very nice finale, especially with all you went through to make this happen!

What’s going on with the pads on the final board (before you populated it)? It looks like several of them are filled with plating or something.

Very nice finale, especially with all you went through to make this happen!

What’s going on with the pads on the final board (before you populated it)? It looks like several of them are filled with plating or something.
Totally worth it.

I use this photo app that replaces backgrounds and it doesn’t always get all the little holes by default. It’s my pants 😂

IMG_9761.jpeg

Back