Sproing Blown Out by 18v Wall Wart

Tyler

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here to using the forum and have never been a forum guy so bear with me as I learn my way around. I have a question for you: can the Sproing handle 18 volts? I accidently plugged in an 18 volt wall wart on stage this week. It blew out my Sproing. I checked all the parts and they should have handled 18 volts okay from what I read. I did discover that I used an L7805CV instead of the L78L05 power regulator. It was all working great until the 18 volts. Would the regulator make a difference? I thought they both can handle 18 volts and keep the output consistent at 5 volts.

I discovered all this when troubleshooting. The L7805CV was getting really hot. I replaced it with an L78L05, replaced a bad the 100uf and now I get guitar signal through the pedal (when it is on). I get no reverb but the Belton module shows continuity on pins 1, 2, & 4 so I have to assume it is shot too. I'm bummed. This was a great pedal and that was the most expensive part. :) I will be building another but probably with my own PCB to fit into a 1590B.

Thanks,
Chris

Welcome, Chris. I don't know this particular circuit but suspect that the regulator may be kaputt. Normal procedure round here BTW is to post pics in the troubleshooting thread for the forum's various electronic adepts and sages to consider. Try measuring voltages if you have a DMM. Providing these might help isolate the issue.

Thank you. I will post pictures in the future. I pulled the board apart so it's not looking so hot (frustration got the best of me LOL). The L7805CV in a test circuit is just slightly under 5 volts output versus a known good one which is right on the mark. The Belton module is definitely shorted from 5v in to GND so I am ordering a new one. I just don't see any component that shouldn't have been able to handle the 18 volts (according to their spec sheets).

Back