SOLVED A Breadboarder Needs Help - Dist 250

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
Hey guys,

I hate to ask your help, but I've been trying for a few days to get a simple Non-inverting opamp to work. This is the Distortion 250 without diode clipping. I used to build this one in my sleep 6 months ago, but now nothing. I guess I've been too busy soldering and designing transistor circuits for Chuck's contest, LOL. Anyway, I've breadboarded it and taken it apart at least 4 times now and for the life of me I can't get it to work . I either get no signal, a very "starved" sound, or unity gain. The gain knob doesn't work. Here is a picture of the breadboard. I hope you all can see it clearly. I do have signal going into the opamp so that part's good. Here's also the schematic. Please read to the end. There are lots of pictures.

1642711947936.png

The top part is the voltage divider and R5. All 1M (I checked before installing and they are within tolerance). The weird part is when I check the voltage right at the divider I get about 2.5 volts. Seem kind of odd, right?

The bottom left is the input section. A 10n cap into a 1k resistor with a 1m resistor going to ground. The red jumper then goes into the non-inverting opamp (pin 3).

The bottom middle is the feedback loop. Jumpered from the - Input to a 1m resistor and then going to the output with the black jumper. To complete the feedback loop I've got a 47n cap to the gain pot (1m) on lugs 2 and 3. Lug 3 goes to the 4.7k resistor. I know the order is backwards but I don't think that makes a difference?

The output goes to a 1u electro cap and then to my output signal.
1642711994886.png

At first I thought it was the breadboard and checked continutity on all the rows/columns (a real pain). Then I built this again on a different breadboard with no luck. Here are my IC voltages:

1 0
2 1.92
3 1.11
4 0
5 0
6 1.97
7 9
8 0

1642712118351.png

As you can see I have it chip powered correctly (pin 7 is 9v and pin 4 is 0). I am wondering about the other voltages here.

Last edited:
If the connections on your breadboard match the connections on the schematic, then the circuit should work. In other words, as long as C4, C6 & R6 connect to pin 2, and only those parts connect to pin 2, then your wiring for that node matches the schematic no matter how the parts and wires are placed on the breadboard. The reason your previous layout didn't work is it wasn't wired per the schematic. The pix did not reveal enough information (for me anyway) to discover which connections were fubar. With a simple circuit like that one, the brute-force method of ripping it up and starting over can be the quickest path to success.

Your DMM must have a 10MΩ input resistance to be able to measure the DC voltage on pins 2 or 3 accurately because the DC resistance to power or ground is 1MΩ or higher in that circuit. DMMs with a 1MΩ input resistance (the cheap ones) are pretty much useless for making that measurement.

If the connections on your breadboard match the connections on the schematic, then the circuit should work. In other words, as long as C4, C6 & R6 connect to pin 2, and only those parts connect to pin 2, then your wiring for that node matches the schematic no matter how the parts and wires are placed on the breadboard. The reason your previous layout didn't work is it wasn't wired per the schematic. The pix did not reveal enough information (for me anyway) to discover which connections were fubar. With a simple circuit like that one, the brute-force method of ripping it up and starting over can be the quickest path to success.

Your DMM must have a 10MΩ input resistance to be able to measure the DC voltage on pins 2 or 3 accurately because the DC resistance to power or ground is 1MΩ or higher in that circuit. DMMs with a 1MΩ input resistance (the cheap ones) are pretty much useless for making that measurement.
I had the rc filter connected to the feedback resistor and also jumpered from that resistor back to pin 2. Still boggles my mind why that didn’t work. Bill’s Law I guess.

I’ve got a cheap Chinese DMM that only goes up to 2M resistance. I should probably upgrade, but for $10 it has solved most of my problems

Reactions: fig
image.jpg

So I’ve got mine breadboarded and I’m having the same issue i ripped this apart and rebuilt it 3 times. When It’s engaged I get Low sound but nothing is getting distorted. Neither of the pots do anything. I was reading something about a different feedback loop for pin 2 of the ic then I realized your using a dual op amp and I’m only using a single op amp with the Lm741 even though your only using a one channel of yours. Not really sure what’s going on. I clearly have something wired wrong just not catching it wouldn’t mind a little help on this one. I’m using @PedalPCB schematic.

Last edited:
I think the 1uF is supposed to be polarized with the positive lead towards the op amp.

Edit: Are those 1N4148s in the clipping, and you have two leads from the GAIN pot going to the same place.

Last edited:
i have 1n270 that have vf of mid .5s in there

and leg 2 shouldnt be connected to leg 1 on the same rail? How should i wire the 2nd leg?

Last edited:
I'm guessing pin 1 (dot) is upper left, pin 8 is upper right in the listing above. Next time, please list them like BtR did to avoid any confusion. I am easily confused.

Looks like you have a missing ground connection.

Try installing the lime green jumpers shown below. Some protoboards need these. The last several ones I've bought on eBay need them because the power and gnd rails are not continuous.

View attachment 31930
dude this is literally what it was i have been ripping my hair out since last night! thank you so much now i can finally get to modding! your the man!

I'm guessing pin 1 (dot) is upper left, pin 8 is upper right in the listing above. Next time, please list them like BtR did to avoid any confusion. I am easily confused.

Looks like you have a missing ground connection.

Try installing the lime green jumpers shown below. Some protoboards need these. The last several ones I've bought on eBay need them because the power and gnd rails are not continuous.

View attachment 31930oof!
oof!

Inspired by this this thread, I breadboarded a Ross Distortion (black box values), using the PPCB schematic, and a 741 because I forgot. Worked great. Decided to swap out for the 4558 and reset what needed to be reset and…nothing. Tore it part and started over…still nothing. Hilarious.

Back