DEMO A demo for April Autism Awareness month

This post contains an audio or video demo

Paradox916

I didn’t build anything specifically for Autism Awareness this year but instead made a signal chain using some recent builds:

Shadow man ( @blackhatboojum) DM-3
Dizzy Elk fuzz (@peccary get rad)
Paracitic terraformer (PPCB arachnid)
Cerberus (PPCB muzzle) gate
TARigrade (EL Neotoma) RAT

In this 3 minute demo that I attempted to blend 3 genres of music (Trap/EDM, Doom, and Prog.) then broke the demo into 3 distinct parts for the 3 levels of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder)

Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is typically categorized into three levels based on the level of support a person needs and the severity of their symptoms:

1. Level 1 (Requiring Support):

- Individuals at this level need some support to function in daily life.

- They may have difficulties with social interactions and communication but can generally manage routine tasks.

- Their symptoms may be noticeable but not severe enough to significantly impact their daily functioning.

2. Level 2 (Requiring Substantial Support):

- Individuals at this level require more substantial support to navigate daily life.

- They often have more pronounced difficulties with social interactions and communication, which can affect their ability to engage in typical activities.

- They may demonstrate repetitive behaviors or restricted interests that interfere with their functioning.

3. Level 3 (Requiring Very Substantial Support):

- Individuals at this level require significant support to meet their daily needs.

- Their difficulties with social interactions, communication, and behavior are severe and significantly impair their ability to function independently.

- They may have limited verbal communication skills or may be entirely nonverbal. They often require assistance with basic tasks and may have significant challenges in multiple areas of functioning.

It can be challenging and even isolating to be a caregiver for someone on the spectrum especially young children or those on the more severe end of the spectrum. It is estimated that 1 in 36 children in the U.S. have autism now, estimates also suggest that approximately 25% to 30% of individuals with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) may remain nonverbal or minimally verbal throughout their lives. It’s important to note that early intervention and specialized therapies can help many individuals with autism develop communication skills, but some may still struggle with verbal communication.

Awareness by the general public can be the seed that brings about more funding for research, and resources for families and individuals that require support, as a significant portion of these individuals and families do not have access to adequate resources or services.

For those of you that have read through this long post, thank you! And I hope you find the demo entertaining and perhaps informative or inspiring.

I didn’t build anything specifically for Autism Awareness this year but instead made a signal chain using some recent builds:

Shadow man ( @blackhatboojum) DM-3
Dizzy Elk fuzz (@peccary get rad)
Paracitic terraformer (PPCB arachnid)
Cerberus (PPCB muzzle) gate
TARigrade (EL Neotoma) RAT

In this 3 minute demo that I attempted to blend 3 genres of music (Trap/EDM, Doom, and Prog.) then broke the demo into 3 distinct parts for the 3 levels of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder)

Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is typically categorized into three levels based on the level of support a person needs and the severity of their symptoms:

1. Level 1 (Requiring Support):

- Individuals at this level need some support to function in daily life.

- They may have difficulties with social interactions and communication but can generally manage routine tasks.

- Their symptoms may be noticeable but not severe enough to significantly impact their daily functioning.

2. Level 2 (Requiring Substantial Support):

- Individuals at this level require more substantial support to navigate daily life.

- They often have more pronounced difficulties with social interactions and communication, which can affect their ability to engage in typical activities.

- They may demonstrate repetitive behaviors or restricted interests that interfere with their functioning.

3. Level 3 (Requiring Very Substantial Support):

- Individuals at this level require significant support to meet their daily needs.

- Their difficulties with social interactions, communication, and behavior are severe and significantly impair their ability to function independently.

- They may have limited verbal communication skills or may be entirely nonverbal. They often require assistance with basic tasks and may have significant challenges in multiple areas of functioning.

It can be challenging and even isolating to be a caregiver for someone on the spectrum especially young children or those on the more severe end of the spectrum. It is estimated that 1 in 36 children in the U.S. have autism now, estimates also suggest that approximately 25% to 30% of individuals with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) may remain nonverbal or minimally verbal throughout their lives. It’s important to note that early intervention and specialized therapies can help many individuals with autism develop communication skills, but some may still struggle with verbal communication.

Awareness by the general public can be the seed that brings about more funding for research, and resources for families and individuals that require support, as a significant portion of these individuals and families do not have access to adequate resources or services.

For those of you that have read through this long post, thank you! And I hope you find the demo entertaining and perhaps informative or inspiring.

Now, that is how you demo! Really nice composition and performance. With a brother that has autism, I appreciate the awareness you bring.

I liked the music, the video, how you had the pedals in the corner, very cool.

This is a timely subject for me. My two kids have just completed their assessments (after an 8 month waiting list), and they both fit into ASD. I'm so relieved that we are moving forward on treatment and accommodations for them, and just to have that validation from what we were experiencing as parents.

This is a timely subject for me. My two kids have just completed their assessments (after an 8 month waiting list), and they both fit into ASD. I'm so relieved that we are moving forward on treatment and accommodations for them, and just to have that validation from what we were experiencing as parents.
Also a sad commentary on the state of our healthcare system that we have to fight so hard to get the validation that we are not making things up.

Now, that is how you demo! Really nice composition and performance. With a brother that has autism, I appreciate the awareness you bring.
🙏I wish I had way more reach than I do, but I will keep at it regardless and try to support the community the best I can.

🙏. My daughter was diagnosed at 18 months ,it can be a hard hit to take, you go through a whole gambit of emotions ( at least I did… still do sometimes.) stay strong it’s a journey ..Reach out if you need to.
My 15 year old son is low functioning autistic (level 3, although this is the first time I've heard the term).

There are more of us here than you probably realize.
💯, autism parents tend to be a pretty stoic bunch… me not so much🤣… but others for sure

Last edited:
My oldest son would be level 2 on that list. He will be 14 this year. He has had a very hard run both in school, with peers and at home. His mom and I are divorced and run 2 very different homes. He quit visiting me around the same time I joined this site last year. It has been difficult having him away but the space has also allowed me to see how hard I had worked and burned out I had become. I have appreciated all the kind words and camaraderie from everyone over the last few months.

There are definitely a lot more of us here than you might think. My youngest is level 3 and my oldest is level 1. They are still just 10 and 11. I got into pedals and pedal building because I stayed home with my kids very early on and It gave me an outlet. They have made be a lot calmer and taught me how to just go with the flow. It’s certainly not easy. This is the emblem I put on all of my effects. Its a combination of my boys names and a puzzle piece for autism awareness.

Attachments

• kabofinalpuzzle copy.jpg
    kabofinalpuzzle copy.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 5
There are definitely a lot more of us here than you might think. My youngest is level 3 and my oldest is level 1. They are still just 10 and 11. I got into pedals and pedal building because I stayed home with my kids very early on and It gave me an outlet. They have made be a lot calmer and taught me how to just go with the flow. It’s certainly not easy. This is the emblem I put on all of my effects. It’s a combination of my boys names and a puzzle piece
for autism awareness.
I dig the logo.
This is awesome and you're awesome. I love everything about this - the demo, the message, the cause! Rock on brother!
🙏, I really tried to put some thought and time in on this , mostly for the cause but the Dm-3 and dizzy elk are such cool projects I felt they really deserved a demo that did them justice

My twin boys are almost 21 and are level 1. I think they're perfectly normal but the world does not. They both made it out of high school anyway. Quite the adventure along the way (that I have mostly blocked from memory). Life is so much easier that we are not constantly doing battle with the school.

DL

My twin boys are almost 21 and are level 1. I think they're perfectly normal but the world does not. They both made it out of high school anyway. Quite the adventure along the way (that I have mostly blocked from memory). Life is so much easier that we are not constantly doing battle with the school.

DL
My Daughter I believe is in the 2nd (and has the potential to improve. ) she has reached the age where school is compulsory, but I think we are going to home school, this being one of our primary motivations…. Not wanting to have to fight with the school. On a more fun side note I’m a big fan of SpinCAD it allowed me to write one of the algorithms I used in the demo.

My Daughter I believe is in the 2nd (and has the potential to improve. ) she has reached the age where school is compulsory, but I think we are going to home school, this being one of our primary motivations…. Not wanting to have to fight with the school. On a more fun side note I’m a big fan of SpinCAD it allowed me to write one of the algorithms I used in the demo.
My sister adopted a baby girl who had microcephaly. At the time, they told her that it could be corrected with surgery, but that wasn't true. I know it's not the same as autism, but the struggles are the same, and I totally appreciate anybody who has to face these challenges. I've seen how strong and resilient it has made my sister. My heart goes out to each and every one of you that are committed to any child with special needs.

For anyone trying to get their special needs kids help in the public school system in the US I highly recommend this book. Yes after several years I came to the conclusion that the people at the district really WANTED to help, but they also REALLY HAD TO make it as difficult as possible. We persevered and got my one son into a school that really helped him out. My other son (who didn't have behavioral issues) had a 504 (useless) and eventually an IEP, which was a little better but not by much.

First time I hear about levels. The mantra I use is: when you know met one person with ASD you know one person with ASD.
The level system is from the DSM-5 and it’s been around for about 10 years it’s mostly used to categorize in a clinical setting but I 💯 agree with that old adage as well. the spectrum is pretty infinite on how it manifests just like finger prints and personalities.

@Paradox916 -

It's absolutely wonderful that you do this. I have a nephew (age 30) who is autistic, and music has been very important for him (he's in an autistic music group).

Whether we realize it or not, we all went through "genetic roulette" when we were born - with regard to autism and so many other conditions and attributes. And thus we just HAVE to count our own blessings. It's quite humbling when you think about it.

Good for you that you were alert and followed up on it - early intervention is very important.
There likely are parents groups - locally as well as online - that may be helpful to you.
I wish you the very best going forward.

Back