A pair of drives (Tommy and Face Melter)

spi

This weekend I finished up a couple of drives.

First up is Timmy the Enchanter (Tommy III PCB). I've never owned or played a Timmy, and given its widespread popularity, felt I should remedy that.

I read somewhere that Paul C named this pedal after the Monty Python character Tim the Enchanter. For graphics I pulled a cool sketch from the internet--unfortunately I grabbed it in a frenzy of pulling different options, and then I was unable to relocate the source I took it from, so cannot give credit to the artist (hopefully they don't mind I took this).

The Timmy sounds pretty much what I expected--since I already built a Mach 1, and these suit the same purpose being "transparent low-gain" drives with a similar circuit. I prefer the simplicity of the Mach 1, but I could use either interchangeably. So far I've been liking it with the switch on low gain and asymmetrical clipping.

IMG_20211127_160227324.jpg IMG_20211127_160252857.jpg

Next up is the Stack Melter (Face Melter PCB). The graphics is some clip art--I wanted to use a wholesome theme to contrast the original name that inspired this pedal.

This has nice higher gain tones, like a hot rodded MIAB--and with the gain switch up, is even more over the top. It's a bit noisy in this high-gain mode (I don't know if that's an issue with my build or just inherent in this pedal).

I haven't seen other commercial pedals based on a soft-clipping op-amp sandwiched by two mosfet boosts, but it's a cool circuit--kind of like a box of rock with the middle gain stage replaced with a op-amp. I wonder if this pedal would be more popular if it wasn't associated with a sexist novelty band.

IMG_20211127_160321627.jpg IMG_20211127_160335967.jpg

Last edited:
One thing about the Face Melter PCB: it's got a switch located right between two 1uF caps. That was a pain to solder. I had to use a different tip to even reach the leads without touching the caps, and with that tip had a hard time getting the solder to flow (and I still managed to melt the box caps a bit). I think I got it since the switch is working, but it is an ugly solder blob. If anyone has advice how to approach this better in future builds, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Back