Tommy III (Timmy v3)

MattG

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Here's another one that's been sitting in the "almost done, just needs to be boxed up" category. A pedal that needs no introduction, the Tommy III, based on the PaulC Timmy v3. Arguably the granddaddy of transparent drives.

My first taste of the Timmy was back before I was building pedals, and I was feeling out different sounds via cheap clones. I had a Caline "Pure Sky" which is purported to be a Timmy clone (probably based on v2, as v3 wasn't yet released when the Pure Sky came out). I really liked the Pure Sky, and wanted to support PaulC, so when the Timmy v3 was released, I snagged one up from Humbucker Music. The real Timmy v3 had a bit different sound than the Pure Sky - not dramatically different, but different enough. Hard to say if the differences were due to the v2 to v3 changes, or general issues from sketchy knock-offs.

Either way, not long after I obtained the Timmy v3, I got into pedal building, and I've been compulsively building new pedals and trying out new sounds ever since.

I built the Tommy III mainly so I could sell the real Timmy pedal. I don't actually use it all that often, but I feel it's essential to have in the collection. A nice benchmark of sorts.

This guy fired up on the first try, no issues! I put it next to the retail Timmy v3, and played around for a while, sounds more or less identical (which I expected, it's a simple circuit, the test was mostly to make sure I didn't make any build errors). As with (almost) all of my builds now, I used my custom microcontroller-based relay bypass.

Graphics are of some clip art I found of Tim the Enchanter (from Monty Python and the Holy Grail), which is the the namesake of the Tim/Timmy pedals.

Attachments

• IMG_8143.jpg
    IMG_8143.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8142.jpg
    IMG_8142.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 66
Here's another one that's been sitting in the "almost done, just needs to be boxed up" category. A pedal that needs no introduction, the Tommy III, based on the PaulC Timmy v3. Arguably the granddaddy of transparent drives.

My first taste of the Timmy was back before I was building pedals, and I was feeling out different sounds via cheap clones. I had a Caline "Pure Sky" which is purported to be a Timmy clone (probably based on v2, as v3 wasn't yet released when the Pure Sky came out). I really liked the Pure Sky, and wanted to support PaulC, so when the Timmy v3 was released, I snagged one up from Humbucker Music. The real Timmy v3 had a bit different sound than the Pure Sky - not dramatically different, but different enough. Hard to say if the differences were due to the v2 to v3 changes, or general issues from sketchy knock-offs.

Either way, not long after I obtained the Timmy v3, I got into pedal building, and I've been compulsively building new pedals and trying out new sounds ever since.

I built the Tommy III mainly so I could sell the real Timmy pedal. I don't actually use it all that often, but I feel it's essential to have in the collection. A nice benchmark of sorts.

This guy fired up on the first try, no issues! I put it next to the retail Timmy v3, and played around for a while, sounds more or less identical (which I expected, it's a simple circuit, the test was mostly to make sure I didn't make any build errors). As with (almost) all of my builds now, I used my custom microcontroller-based relay bypass.

Graphics are of some clip art I found of Tim the Enchanter (from Monty Python and the Holy Grail), which is the the namesake of the Tim/Timmy pedals.
Some call me awesome job. I love that artwork.

Back