DEMO Face Melter (Steel Panther P Melter)

This post contains an audio or video demo

owlexifry

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
this was a commission build for a friend.
IMG_2880.jpeg

i nicked the uv print .pdf from a thread here somewhere (i would upload it here to share but i can’t find it right now)

using the print as a guide, i marked out where i wanted the drill points to be, and sorta just winged it.
the print doesn’t fit with the pcb spacing, but i decided that the switch needed to be mount direct on the board and the pots pcb legs would have to be snipped off and replaced with solid core wire legs.
it wasn’t as horrible as i thought it would be, and got it done.

IMG_2886.jpeg

used a LF353 instead of that obscure IC.

IMG_2728.jpeg IMG_2772.jpeg

i expected this meme pedal to be kinda crap.
i was wrong. it rips.
honestly, I think it’s a better distortion pedal than the SLO pedal.
treble (sizzle) and bass (booty) controls work quite well as they should.
the overdrive is thick and juicy, you can lean it out if you want, it doesn’t get too flubby, and more importantly, it actually fucken chugs quite nicely.

the ‘moist’ and ‘gushing’ modes are essentially different ‘gain’ channels.
moist is crunchy and open, and gushing is thicker and more saturated, a lot more gain. (having said that, once you dial the gain (dirty) above 1-2 o’clock - the overdrive saturation between the two gets very similar)

also takes an overdrive really well too, with best results on the moist channel. (gushing channel is just too saturated for a drive).
for me, i reckon it sounds best on the moist channel with a drive, just cos with the gushing mode at higher gain levels it seems to get a bit loose/buzzy.

but yeah damn, didn’t expect this to be so good.
might have to build another one for myself someday.

Awesome !
I build one by myself too, with nearly the same specs like you !
I can compare it to the original. There is really no difference.
Do you play it right through the input of your amp? When I reamp and put the pedal in front of the input it starts to oscillate (also the original do that btw). So I put it in my FX loop on my SLO Clone.

Do you play it right through the input of your amp? When I reamp and put the pedal in front of the input it starts to oscillate (also the original do that btw). So I put it in my FX loop on my SLO Clone.
yep that demo was pedal into normal channel (bright switch on), and the guitar was going straight into the od808, wasn’t even using my gate.
haven’t tried into the fx loop yet.
for fair comparisons on my demos i usually try to set the level/output on a distortion so that it sits at about unity (so that it isn’t overdriving the preamp) but with the huge variation in gain sometimes it will peak above (but that’s ok, it sounds good)

this was a commission build for a friend.
View attachment 72396

i nicked the uv print .pdf from a thread here somewhere (i would upload it here to share but i can’t find it right now)

using the print as a guide, i marked out where i wanted the drill points to be, and sorta just winged it.
the print doesn’t fit with the pcb spacing, but i decided that the switch needed to be mount direct on the board and the pots pcb legs would have to be snipped off and replaced with solid core wire legs.
it wasn’t as horrible as i thought it would be, and got it done.

View attachment 72395

used a LF353 instead of that obscure IC.

View attachment 72397 View attachment 72399

i expected this meme pedal to be kinda crap.
i was wrong. it rips.
honestly, I think it’s a better distortion pedal than the SLO pedal.
treble (sizzle) and bass (booty) controls work quite well as they should.
the overdrive is thick and juicy, you can lean it out if you want, it doesn’t get too flubby, and more importantly, it actually fucken chugs quite nicely.

the ‘moist’ and ‘gushing’ modes are essentially different ‘gain’ channels.
moist is crunchy and open, and gushing is thicker and more saturated, a lot more gain. (having said that, once you dial the gain (dirty) above 1-2 o’clock - the overdrive saturation between the two gets very similar)

also takes an overdrive really well too, with best results on the moist channel. (gushing channel is just too saturated for a drive).
for me, i reckon it sounds best on the moist channel with a drive, just cos with the gushing mode at higher gain levels it seems to get a bit loose/buzzy.

but yeah damn, didn’t expect this to be so good.
might have to build another one for myself someday.

I was also shocked as much as I liked it as well! I play it into a CLEAN Princeton (bedroom volume) for a nice crunch, and then the SLO pedal for the singing lead lines. So I’m essentially using the pedal as channel 2 in a simulated 3 channel setup. I also like the tight crunch out of this a LOT
Definitely cops those gained up 80s tones well!!

There is definitely something about the sold state SLO stuff that doesn’t sound and feel quite right to me. I couldn’t really connect with the ones I have played.
yeah agreed, im not sure what it is, the overdrive texture/ flavour is pretty decent but idk for me the real killer was the eq, just kinda sucked and only really sounded good at one setting,

I was also shocked as much as I liked it as well! I play it into a CLEAN Princeton (bedroom volume) for a nice crunch, and then the SLO pedal for the singing lead lines. So I’m essentially using the pedal as channel 2 in a simulated 3 channel setup. I also like the tight crunch out of this a LOT
Definitely cops those gained up 80s tones well!!
sounds like a nifty setup ya got going there 🤟🏻 yeah im quite impressed with this one, a real nice useable range of crunch/overdrive

Back