SOLVED Abider drive J201 Issues???

Hi again Gang,
So having built an abider before and liked it a lot, a friend of mine wanted one. Just building one now and the pedal is fine when 'off' but when I engage the foot switch all I get is a quiet white noise. I changed the chips to see if it was them as they were the only thing's I didn't 'test' before soldering them (socketed).

Im now wondering if the switch could be the culprit?. Good quality Gorva. Do you think I burnt it out by soldering it. I don't think I applied excessive heat to it but this is the first time Ive really had a problem like this...
Can you help?.
I did try to upload a small audio file(mp3 ~ 700b - 10 seconds) but alas it wouldn't let me when I tried to attach file.

Anyone!?!?!?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 34
Solution
Where'd you get those 4558 opamps?

They look a little odd.

Do you by any chance have another set of known good opamps?

While we're on that subject, where'd you get your J201 transistor?
Well, It could be anything, at best a 2N5457 or more than likely NPN, BJT..........
Yea possibly, Im aware that its fairly murky waters when it comes to such things. But I used the same one on my last build of this and it worked perfectly.... and is still working?... Im being sent another one 'gratis' so I'll switch it out and see if that changes anything.

Attachments

• image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 11
It seems like the printing on that is off…
What are your voltages for the j201?
Also if your using an audio probe and you think that part is questionable you should have sound up to it. So sound on both sides of r1, one side of c1, one side of r2, and pin 3 of your j201

It seems like the printing on that is off…
What are your voltages for the j201?
Also if your using an audio probe and you think that part is questionable you should have sound up to it. So sound on both sides of r1, one side of c1, one side of r2, and pin 3 of your j201
Thanks dude... Yea, I saw that too after I posted the pic. While music6000 was doing his 'victory lap' and I felt very foolish.. I carefully removed the offending article from the board. However, I will mark it 'solved' when the problem is no longer present!. haha

So, I don't think I can test any more without that component in place?...

Just waiting for a replacement to arrive, and I'll report the outcome...

Thanks dude... Yea, I saw that too after I posted the pic. While music6000 was doing his 'victory lap' and I felt very foolish.. I carefully removed the offending article from the board. However, I will mark it 'solved' when the problem is no longer present!. haha

So, I don't think I can test any more without that component in place?...

Just waiting for a replacement to arrive, and I'll report the outcome...
It wasn't a Vistory lap, It was the only thing I could do Think of to change the request seeing you have another J201 coming.
There is no Delete option on the page!

It wasn't a Vistory lap, It was the only thing I could do Think of to change the request seeing you have another J201 coming.
There is no Delete option on the page!
OK fella, I don't know what that was, or what you were trying to do, but it wasn't a gentlemanly thing to do. You could of just replied that you didn't think it was 'right' and that getting a 'proper one' would probably fix it, or at least we could eliminate that from being an issue .
Starting another thread with the ever changing title that ended up 'Solved', before being deleted by whoever... and I would say it was the right thing to do, when we are not certain (hopeful maybe! haha) is far from the only solution to bring it to my attn.
You weren't the first to mention that it could be the J201 either. I appreciate your participation in the discussion as I do all the members here, but that wasn't 'cool'.

I am well aware that I am not the most knowledgable soul on this forum on this subject... but respectfully I don't think you are either.
So while I do appreciate you participation in this discussion... maybe sometimes things come across a little 'weird' when we don't have the context of being 'face to face' so to speak, and can always become an issue and I do hope that isn't the case here.

Peace
Paul.

Last edited:
OK fella, I don't know what that was, or what you were trying to do, but it wasn't a gentlemanly thing to do. You could of just replied that you didn't think it was 'right' and that getting a 'proper one' would probably fix it, or at least we could eliminate that from being an issue .
Starting another thread with the ever changing title that ended up 'Solved', before being deleted by whoever... and I would say it was the right thing to do, when we are not certain (hopeful maybe! haha) is far from the only solution to bring it to my attn.
You weren't the first to mention that it could be the J201 either. I appreciate your participation of the discussion as I do all the members here, but that wasn't 'cool'.

I am well aware that I am not the most knowledgable soul on this forum on this subject... but respectfully I don't think you are either.
So while I do appreciate you participation in this discussion... maybe sometimes things come across a little 'weird' when we don't have the context of being 'face to face' so to speak, and can always become an issue and I do hope that isn't the case here.

Peace
Paul.
Hi Paul
It is well discussed here on the forum about Fake J201's, that's why everyone is now using SMT version!
The one I showed is everywhere on the ebay sight coming from China & Members have been burned big time. I was not rubbing it in your face as the J201 being legit was already being discussed.
I put it to the Members in your Area if they had a legit one to help you out.
In the meantime you announced that you had another 1 on the way so I edited the message so you could sort it out for yourself.
I have helped a lot of folks here & there is no hidden agenda.
It may still not bethe issue with your Build.

Cheers music6000

Hi Paul
It is well discussed here on the forum about Fake J201's, that's why everyone is now using SMT version!
The one I showed is everywhere on the ebay sight coming from China & Members have been burned big time. I was not rubbing it in your face as the J201 being legit was already being discussed.
I put it to the Members in your Area if they had a legit one to help you out.
In the meantime you announced that you had another 1 on the way so I edited the message so you could sort it out for yourself.
I have helped a lot of folks here & there is no hidden agenda.
It may still not bethe issue with your Build.

Cheers music6000
Cool man!... I'll have to check those discussions out as obviously I have now become a member of the 'burned' gang. 🔥
Im aware that China has been doing this for a while but I didn't think it had become so prevalent... or that other types of transistors are being re-badged for others of 'higher value'... crazy really!...
Ive bought a couple from a few different sources as I have another PCB of this one (Abider) to build for ME! ;), so I hope I got the right ones this time and I can report back with success.

Thanks for your advice, and I do hope it is indeed the solution, I love these drives... and so do all my mates!... haha

ps... SMT version?... that the surface mount conversion right?. should I try one of those as well you think?....

Cool man!... I'll have to check those discussions out as obviously I have now become a member of the 'burned' gang. 🔥
Im aware that China has been doing this for a while but I didn't think it had become so prevalent... or that other types of transistors are being re-badged for others of 'higher value'... crazy really!...
Ive bought a couple from a few different sources as I have another PCB of this one (Abider) to build for ME! ;), so I hope I got the right ones this time and I can report back with success.

Thanks for your advice, and I do hope it is indeed the solution, I love these drives... and so do all my mates!... haha

ps... SMT version?... that the surface mount conversion right?. should I try one of those as well you think?....
I got 20 genuine Fairchild J201's but they are all out of spec, just leftovers that the seller scored from somewhere.
Paypal is your best friend in these matters!

You need a JFET TESTER to know what the IDSS & VP are with all jfet transistors prior to fitment.

I got 20 genuine Fairchild J201's but they are all out of spec, just leftovers that the seller scored from somewhere.
Paypal is your best friend in these matters!

You need a JFET TESTER to know what the IDSS & VP are with all jfet transistors prior to fitment.
I get you... Im just looking up if I can find a source for one of those conversion jobs here in England... I think I'll def try one of those in the one I make for me... and then have to 'convert' all my mates over to that when they find out!...

Just found these...
Im sure this is what were talking about?... I think I might get a couple of these!.. Thankyou!...

Do let me know if I am strolling into a towering inferno!. ;)

That link from jeds peds looks like the sort of thing. The thing is that J201s in the TO92 casing have been obsolete and out of production for some time now. The surface mount version is still in active production. Nobody bothers to fake the surface mount because it is so easy to get legitimately still. A lot of new boards will pads for either version to make it easier, but if they don't then a conversion board makes it much easier

Well, with the delivery and installation complete we have found our culprit.... J201 it is... and Robert was the first to mention it so he wins!. ;)

f1977ae0-6b72-42f4-911d-9de81ed60cdf_text.gif

I can't thank you all enough for being patient, knowledgable and just 'good eggs'...
I will sign this one off with the traditional pics (attached) of the build including a 'gut shot' to keep our Robot Overlords happy!.

Attachments

• image ZS Dumble.jpg
    image ZS Dumble.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 8
  • ZS dumble2.jpg
    ZS dumble2.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back