Abyss / EQD Depths

Erik S

I built this one a few weeks ago, but didn't do a build report right away. My initial reaction to it was that I must have messed up somewhere. The vibe sound is great, and everything seems to function normally, except that it cuts a TON of low end out. The Voice control changes the nature of it, but there's not much low end to be found.

I took a quick look for a miss-picked capacitor value, but didn't see any. I didn't even get as far as verifying the resistor values. I did wonder if my LDR placement might have something to do with it. I read through some other build reports looking for any discussion of weird tone stuff - didn't find any, but I did notice all the gut shots had pretty tight LDR to LED gaps.

Funny thing is, I brought it to a jam session right after I finished it, and ended up having a lot of fun with it. I did some vibey stuff, but I also left it on with the intensity all the way down so it was just EQing all my bass out. It was a fun sound that really stood out. Now I'm not sure what I want to do about it. I definitely don't want to desolder the pot that's blocking the LDR's in order to re-do all those. I may just leave it as it is.

B4D3216F-B6EB-4539-ABF3-9B5292DE35EB.jpeg
48DF08EE-7467-48E5-92CF-24653937678E.jpeg
87337AE3-D4E7-44A5-A12E-2AFD77D15B0C.jpeg

How about making a light shield to go around the ldr and led? You could just do it with painters tape or construction paper. Just something cheap that will allow you to keep the light in a tighter area instead of all over the enclosure. May be worth a shot to see if that is the culprit. Maybe even a 2 liter bottle cap or something (not sure if it will fit by the cap though).

How about making a light shield to go around the ldr and led? You could just do it with painters tape or construction paper. Just something cheap that will allow you to keep the light in a tighter area instead of all over the enclosure. May be worth a shot to see if that is the culprit. Maybe even a 2 liter bottle cap or something (not sure if it will fit by the cap though).
That's a great idea. I might try that!

Back