Adobe illustrator

swelchy

Wife bought me a year subscription to adobe cloud and I'm going to try and learn to do graphics so I can eventually learn to get my stuff uv printed. Any body got any files they can share with me so I can see how the layers and stuff are setup? I have no idea how to use the program but I have been doing simple waterslide stuff with gimp for a couple years...

Absolutely! The UV stuff can be quite daunting at first but when you figure out a good workflow it's really no sweat.

Try downloading this We Transfer file for a pedal I'm working on right now. It's a 1590xx enclosure. The most important layers are white, color, and gloss-v (v for varnish or m for matte). I've also included a layer for a mockup called "layout" and a background color called "background". Whenever I submit my files I always make a copy in .pdf form and delete the layout and background layer. Take a look and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Dude.. @jojofogarty Thank You!.. Just got it downloaded and looking at it... I can see the layers and how you grouped things together after you modified and tweaked the text/artwork.. This is helpful. Whatched a bunch of youtube videos last night to see how to get started.. I'm literally starting at the beginning and drawing a rectangle..lol

I used Illustrator and Photoshop professionally for a couple decades so if you have any questions, hit me up. However, I don’t pay for anything Adobe anymore and switched over to Affinity Design, Photo, and Publisher which have about 90% of the features for only $100. The workflow is similar, but to be honest, Illustrator is pretty bad-ass and I do kinda miss using it.

I can also help answer Illustrator questions, and like @homebrewtj, am now using (with some confusion) Affinity. I don’t have any native AI files I can share that would be useful

It is important though, to use the “outline fonts” menu selection (under text?) to change all of your type into vector outlines. One computer’s Helvetica font may not match another’s, for instance, and you can get unfortunate surprises from that. By changing to outlines it will print exactly as you expect. The other area that can create problems when you send files to a vendor is mixing CMYK and RGB colorspaces. Pick one, for a given file, and stick with it.

I also use Illustrator for work and can help. Along with the excellent suggestions above (especially outlining the fonts!), I'd recommend starting simple by using a template from a printer like @amplifyfun (who does KILLER work). Also recommend setting up some Symbols based the proper size drill holes for common items.

Here's my Tayda 125B Template https://we.tl/t-aefeLJYHNv

Though it's a Tayda Template, you could use it for other setups. (Just ignore the layers referring to color, white, gloss, etc) It should have some of my Symbols embedded if I saved it properly!

If you aren't using the pedal vector pack you are working harder and not smarter, only advice I can give. I also did a multi part video tutorial on UV prints broken into sections that ensure what to do and not do to ensure good prints. All my advice is in there, and I also show how to properly order a print on tayda. My work sucks so I don't feel confident giving actual technical advice on making designs.

I like Inkscape better and there seem to be a lot more free tutorials on it.

If you aren't using the pedal vector pack you are working harder and not smarter, only advice I can give. I also did a multi part video tutorial on UV prints broken into sections that ensure what to do and not do to ensure good prints. All my advice is in there, and I also show how to properly order a print on tayda. My work sucks so I don't feel confident giving actual technical advice on making designs.
thanks!

There was a free one I have that was floating around for a while, don't remember exactly where I got it from

It'll take you longer than $5 to make your own. You could use this one starting now! But if you must make one, I fully understand. This is DIY after all
I used to do technical drawings and illustration back in the day. I almost want to make one that’s online too- drag and drop, save your designs, share them, print em, send them to some Tayda API if one’s available. Might be a fun project.

Back