SOLVED Aion Gale No Bypass Signal

joelorigo

This is a replica of Schaffer-Vega Diversity System in a pedal from Aion Electronics.

There is no bypass signal. The LED doesn't light up when activated. When the pedal is activated signal passes through - I can verify this because turning the knobs change the sound (the volume make it louder, etc.)

IMG_5011.JPG

Check for continuity between the input and output ground terminals on the PCB. The picture shows the front ground plane is separated, if it truly is then you may not have a ground on the output side

Hi, I'm back after a couple busy days.

In effect mode, I do not have continuity between these 2 points. There is continuity between the DC and the left side GND pad on the PCB. There is continuity between switch lug 5 and the right side GND PCB pad, lug 5 and both jack sleeves. The switch is testing correctly compared to the previous one.

Also, I plugged it in again, the LED does not come on. Before I thought it was coming on faintly, which I was going to ask about later. But now it is not coming on when switched to effect mode. I don't know if this matters but there is continuity from the DC jack to the "first" side of the resistor. Not from the DC jack to the other side of the resistor, the side connected to the LED.

You haven't said which 2 points don't have continuity unless I'm reading it wrong

You'd only get continuity from 9v to one side of the resistor

Just so I'm understanding when you say continuity from DC to left side gnd you mean from ground on the dc jack to left side ground ?

Check your pcb in and out have continuity with the 3PDT pcb in and out lugs 1 and 7

Post a picture of what you have now so we can trace the dc jack and 3PDT wiring

You haven't said which 2 points don't have continuity unless I'm reading it wrong

You'd only get continuity from 9v to one side of the resistor
I get continuity between these 3 points that are circled and not on the other side of the resistor, so that sound like what you are saying.

Attachments

• IMG_5086 copy.JPG
    IMG_5086 copy.JPG
    430.4 KB · Views: 10
Check your pcb in and out have continuity with the 3PDT pcb in and out lugs 1 and 7

Post a picture of what you have now so we can trace the dc jack and 3PDT wiring

PCB In and lug 1 have continuity, PCB OUT and lug 7 have continuity. Lugs 1 & 7 do not

Attachments

• IMG_5086.JPG
    IMG_5086.JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 12
Hi, I'm back after a couple busy days.

In effect mode, I do not have continuity between these 2 points. There is continuity between the DC and the left side GND pad on the PCB. There is continuity between switch lug 5 and the right side GND PCB pad, lug 5 and both jack sleeves. The switch is testing correctly compared to the previous one.
So it looks as if you have the GND wire going from DC Jack to Left PCB GND. LED GND going to top center lug of 3PDT switch and Right PCB GND going to Center Lug of 3PDT switch. If so you will need to jumper the Left and Right PCB GNDs together, This will give you One ground and the LED should come on when effect is going through switch. Leave the speaker GNDs going to right PCB GND also, They need to be grounded to effect.

Last edited:
So it looks as if you have the GND wire going from DC Jack to Left PCB GND. LED GND going to top center lug of 3PDT switch and Right PCB GND going to Center Lug of 3PDT switch. If so you will need to jumper the Left and Right PCB GNDs together, This will give you One ground and the LED should come on when effect is going through switch. Leave the speaker GNDs going to right PCB GND also, They need to be grounded to effect.
All that you state is true, with the addition that the output jack sleeve is also connected to the Right PCB GND. Is that what you are referring to "speaker GND?"

All that you state is true, with the addition that the output jack sleeve is also connected to the Right PCB GND. Is that what you are referring to "speaker GND?"
Yes, that's what I was referring to.

The ground plain on the front of the board is split in half. I checked a few of the Aion projects I have built and there is not a ground plain on the back side. The 3PDT breakout board that came with the PCB was the common ground between the 2 sides. That's why there are terminals on both sides of the board. The PCB Left GND must connect the PCB right GND.

The yellow line in the picture follows the split so you can see it, the red line is the jumper that needs to be added.

Attachments

• gale-booster-limiter-pcba.jpg
    gale-booster-limiter-pcba.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 11
Yes, that's what I was referring to.

The ground plain on the front of the board is split in half. I checked a few of the Aion projects I have built and there is not a ground plain on the back side. The 3PDT breakout board that came with the PCB was the common ground between the 2 sides. That's why there are terminals on both sides of the board. The PCB Left GND must connect the PCB right GND.

The yellow line in the picture follows the split so you can see it, the red line is the jumper that needs to be added.
Ah I remember now a note in the build doc that said there was an extra wire in this project from the break out board to the main PCB. I will add this jumper.

That did it! I took it out of the enclosure and put the jumper on the other side as this one is getting crowded. Tried it and it worked. Then I put it back into the box and it had no signal in effect mode. Turned out I knocked a wire loose putting it back in, but it was easy to spot.

So we're done here. Thank you all for taking the time to guide me to the finish line. What a great community this is!

Back