(Amentum) First pedal help!! Super low output and now I broke bypass!

sdochertymusich

Hello everyone!

I'm building my first ever pedal, the Amentum (Musikding kit) and have trouble getting it to work!

When I first put it together the output was very very low, but switched off the guitar signal still went through the pedal.

I double checked all components and wiring, checking for bridges and reflowed all the solder joints again. I know the wires look a little messy now in these pics but they were cleaner before I reflowed and rewired things.

Then, the same low ouput happened but only now the guitar signal doesn't bypass through when the pedal is off anymore!

I tried replacing the switch for one without the breakout board incase I bridged the switch under the board somewhere but it didn't solve it!

Any help appreciated! I'm not a total soldering noob but never soldered a PCB till now - watched a lot of youtube vids before starting though.

20200801_132210_001.jpg 20200801_132348.jpg 20200801_132406.jpg 20200801_132426.jpg 20200801_132125.jpg 20200801_132418.jpg

ohhhhh SH*T .... haha. I just assumed they were correct because they came labelled up already. I guess I should get the resistor calculator out and double check those!!

Thanks! Will report back on how it goes!

I check every resistor with a DMM before it goes into the PCB!
I check every diode, after I bend the legs & Non Jfet Transistors with a Peak DCA55 before it goes into the PCB.
I can't stress enough how important it is to Test each component before fitment!
I've lost count how many times a Member has 470k where 470 ohm or vice versa, 47 ohm & 4K7 & 47K, 100K & 100 ohm........... !

Thanks!! This definitely feels like a mistake you have to make as a right of passage almost ... I double checked and those resistors were indeed wrong as Mcknib said - I verified the others as correct now and going to replace them with correct resistors a bit later!!

I guarantee I'm going to check every part on the next pedal haaha....

Back