Amp/Cab/DI Experiment

DadTheTinkerFairy

This is my Amp/Cab/DI experiment. Cobbler preamp into the Unicab cab sim, then an active DI circuit on the AMZ opamp board. There is also a 1/4” output before the DI I can use if needed.
I have tested it into a USB interface and monitored through a class D amp and full range speakers. It is really quite convincing. My plan is to use it as a pedal platform direct to house mixer at church. Going to try it out at next practice.

D830128C-4B35-49E0-8E08-41FF1B647E38.jpeg 6CC7BD56-7E0C-45E6-9911-46459E8A0064.jpeg

I think my only complaint would be that even with the gain low on the Cobbler, there is always some slight distortion on the treble that doesn’t really sound good. I’m guessing it’s the 1N4148 diodes in the first stage that are clipping. Maybe I should take them out or use a larger capacitor with them??

Anyone know if there would be a benefit to running the cab sim and DI at higher voltage? The Cobbler has the voltage doubler circuit in it and I have to keep its output level no higher than 9 o’clock or it will overdrive the cab sim.

Turns out the unpleasant distortion I was hearing was not from the Cobbler after all. The output of the DI was too hot causing clipping in my recording interface even with the input gain all the way down. I had to rework the DI circuit remove the gain from. Took it to band practice instead of my amp and it worked great!

Back