An extensively bastardized MadBean Rabbit Hole for my SCHMORG (Big Muff Pi)

dawson

Somebody poisoned the Rabbit Hole!
Woody-Tom-Hanks-hiding-in-Toy-Story.jpg

Hello!
I'd like to show off my newest Big Muff build:

1n6O9o8.jpg

It's a MadBean Rabbit Hole built to the 'Triangle' spec's, and I've also added a 'Mids' switch that I pilfered from the Aion 'Halo' schematic and built on strip-board.
There are two 'Volume' knobs that can be toggled between with an additional footswitch- there is an LED next to each 'Volume' to always show which one is currently selected- red on top, yellow on bottom- the status LED assembly also toggles to match when the effect is engaged.

aIDr8Mj.jpg
vzPEy7h.jpg

Here are a few shots of them guts:

805pfh5.jpg

YW9Ot5l.jpg

1ELgwmf.jpg

So, why did I even build this thing?

I've been using a PedalPCB/BUGG FX 'Acid Rain' as my main fuzz-stortion tone, but in my particular rig it falls flat whenever I try to stack onto it boost for leads, BUT if I turn the volume knob from 6ish to full-blast, it does exactly what I need. I think I may have read somewhere that the 'Acid Rain' was derived from something 'Muff' adjacent, and even though I didn't have a 'Triangle' spec' around, it's my favorite-sounding EHX variant, so I figured I'd roll the dice and shoot the two out. Worst-case-scenario, I'll add a rad 'Muff' to the library.

M35yqo8.jpg

I haven't shot them out with the band yet, but after comparing them side-by-side, I think it's safe to say that BUGG's circuit is absolutely its' own thing and I'm probably not going to be able to replace it so easily. I prefer the Triangle in certain single-note scenarios but the attack and note-definition the 'Acid Rain' brings to chords is really, really cool-sounding and more-usable to fill my current band duties.

In conclusion.. I'll probably be building another 'Acid Rain' or possibly a 'Raincoat' with foot-switchable volume control and set this build aside for when I need a more traditional 'Muff' sound.

The faceplate was designed in Photoshop modeling classic EHX style, then etched with ferric chloride. Brackets were designed in Fusion 360 and printed with carbon-fiber-infused PLA using my dinosaur 'ROBO' 3D printer.

A couple in-process photos:
POWETRD.jpg

ubzti8j.jpg

If you're wondering WTF is wrong with this guy who thinks it's okay to build upside-down pedals with no pants on, this thread may answer a question or two:
SCHMORG

Thanks for reading!

Great work! The detail with the brackets here is particularly impressive.
Wow. I am impressed with the off board wiring. It looks so clean and you make it look easy!

Hey, thanks guys!
Since this one was such a departure from regular builds, I had to be really patient with it for it to come out alright- it's been simmering on the back burner for a couple months. I'm glad to say it fired right up so I didn't have to go digging through all that mess!

*A wiser man may have spent a similar amount of time checking out the Intro-to-PCB-design thread 🙃 but I know what I know so I built how I did.

An innovative approach and well executed. Bravo!

Thank you!
This one was a lot of fun to plan and build.

So many cool things here, I think my favourite is the graphic for the mids switch. That is stealable!!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

*You've made me realize I didn't go into much detail about that mod' in the write-up.
The 'Mids' switch from the Aion 'Halo' in the Triangle spec' is pretty neat at lower-gain settings and opens up a lot of usable possibilities for the pedal- but in louder, higher-gain settings like the ones I might use a Muff for, I've found that the stock mid-scoop is the only way to tame the feedback that hangs out at the top part of the 'Sustain' knob.

This is absolutely insane! Very very impressive! Such creative use of the 3D printer looks like a perfectly made skeleton for your guts!

Back