Another Big Muff

almondcity

Made this for my son so wanted to try something different. Green russian values with IR LED clippers, modified tone control with 250K pot and slightly less mid scoop. It sounds like a big muff. I might make another for myself

Attachments

• 20220228_184301.jpg
    20220228_184301.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • 20220228_184247.jpg
    20220228_184247.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
Made this for my son so wanted to try something different. Green russian values with IR LED clippers, modified tone control with 250K pot and slightly less mid scoop. It sounds like a big muff. I might make another for myself
I have a stupid question, is it me or all your transistors are installed backward ???

I have a stupid question, is it me or all your transistors are installed backward ???
Can’t see what ones were installed, builder might’ve used different trans than called for in the build doc that have a different pinout — in which case “yes” but still correct.

Ps: Doh! OP Beat me to it!

That’s why it’s always good to read the datasheet of whatever you’re plugging into a circuit — some manufacturers are putting out LHD vehicles for RHD roads…

🚔🚗

That’s why it’s always good to read the datasheet of whatever you’re plugging into a circuit — some manufacturers are putting out LHD vehicles for RHD roads…

🚔🚗
Well newbies like me solder by numbers, so substitution is not my forte... Maybe one day I will have that problem :D

All the more important to read the datasheets and learn by so doing.

What I meant above is, for example … the circ designer uses old Fairchild trans with a pinout CBE, and you buy the board but your trans are Intersil and pinout is BCE — yet you have the same exact product-type #/designation “2N40XY2” (👈🏼 Fictitious, btw) … So, still a good idea to read datasheets and you’ll soon get the hang of understanding what you need from them.

Then again, I know there are long-time successful builders that have never read a datasheet in their life.
😺

Just find what works for you.

Last edited:
All the more important to read the datasheets and learn by so doing.

What I meant above is, for example … the circ designer uses old Fairchild trans with a pinout CBE, and you buy the board but your trans are Intersil and pinout is BCE — yet you have the same exact product-type #/designation “2N40XY2” (👈🏼 Fictitious, btw) … So, still a good idea to read datasheets and you’ll soon get the hang of understanding what you need from them.

Then again, I know there are long-time successful builders that have never read a datasheet in their life.
😺

Just find what works for you.

Oh don't get me wrong, I spend a fair amount of time looking at schematics of my builds and try to at least get a high level understanding of what the circuit does. I also learn a lot from the troubleshooting thread, I try to read them as much as I can to pick up tricks and tips from each of them.

However in your example above, I'm not sure I would know that the circuits would call for Fairchild as the BOM probably would only list the 2N40XY2... Makes me wonder how one should be able to identify what was the original brand in mind of the builder... In all case I'm pretty sure that was not the essence of your message....

As a safe approach, I usually ask the community to confirm my understanding when it comes to substitution and knowledgeable members like you always come to the rescue and gracefully points me in the right direction. And I try to do my homework first, but as a newbie, the information provided in a spec sheet is still a bit cryptic. But I think I'm getting there, slowly, one piece of information/knowledge at the time...

It's a fairly slow/long process without a electrical engineering background...

😸 I’m not an electrical engineer either, and my Datasheet knowledge is limited to checking pinout & hFE — I haven’t delved into much else yet. I

I was just trying to say there may be multiple pinouts for the same type of transister.

I even found one manufacturer that specified a different pinout in its legacy datasheet to its current-production datasheet.

The only success I’ve had has come from being a stubborn jackass and never giving up! 😹

Back