Another Chaos Machine

mybud

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
chaos_innards_01.jpg

This was my part of my third order from @Robert many moons ago (October 2021, to be exact). I built it then but put it aside being reluctant to drill the box and wishing to solder the pots into a drilled enclosure. Than I completely forgot I had it till @DGWVI's very recent build report and demo.

chaos_innards_02.jpg

Taking a leaf from that book, I tried one of his suggested rate mods as above, using a DPDT board from Barry (on-off-on with centre normal, slow with a 10UF NP and ultra slow using a 33uF). These make pretty convincing long resonant filter sweeps as you might expect, so TMM, while more than usable on guitar, it's probably better suited to synth applications than for guitar. I took note of the other suggestion, to modify the input caps to 470nF - 1uF for added low end (from @Mcknib IIRC), but chickened out of that particular adventure.

chaos_outards_01.jpg

So here it is, complete with rate mod toggle just to the left of the bypass switch.

chaos_outards_02.jpg

And in action...

It's a beautifully laid out board and the drill template worked perfectly.

Verdict: this was one of the easiest hitch-free builds I've done in a while and it rewards tweaking and fiddling to taste with the controls. It's mildly niche (not specifically intended for guitar given its provenance) but I think will truly come into its own as part of my modular setup.

Thanks for reading as always. Now to unpack and inventorise my recent Tayda order of pots, elcaps, switches, and miscellaneous other Johnny B goodies...

Last edited:
Back