Pro-Filter (Andertone)

mybud

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
pf_innards.jpg

I remember some time ago coming across Craig Anderton's ground-breaking (IMHO) books on home recording and electronics, and tried building some of his projects back then, with varying results (largely due to my advanced incompetence at the time). This board (along with a duplicate just in case) arrived today and I got stuck in. Housed it in a recycled box for ease of installation and kludged two pots for lack of stock (20kA to 10kA and 250kA to 100kA), and so still in the testing phase.

pf_outards.jpg

It's a state variable filter (to the nth degree TMM) and one will need to spend time getting exactly the right range of toan therefrom.

Maybe it's better suited to a modular setup, since it resonates quite forcefully and emits marvellous whistling noises with the resonance and filter controls maxed (perhaps that's the right province for SVFs). Bringing some of the parameters under CV control is a job for another experimental day, though.

As I said, still in testing and it may well be that the whistling stops when the board is properly grounded. This may very well still be my own incompetence, which I'm working on day by day...

Others have commented that it's quite a fussy installation. Agreed. Much as I love the black toggles from Tayda, their finish doesn't last and taking the assembly in and out of the box once or twice did scratch off some of the black coating. Enough aesthetics already, I hear you say.

The verdict: anything from the esteemed Mr Anderton is always worth the effort, hence the name. Overkill if you need something quick and dirty, but the be-all and end-all of toan if you're so inclined. Thank you, @Robert, once again for a fun board.

Back