Anyone know where to find this part?

Anyone have any idea where I can find ground contacts for 1/4" PCB mounted jacks?

View attachment 70857
Not sure where to get in large quantities, but here are 2 sources (never bought from either, but they’ve been around long time and I’ve never heard bad about them)

I was going to say..........Tatooine?

anakin-pod-race.gif

How could anyone forget Cliff!?

Oh. Different Cliff!

"That's a clear case of miss taken I dent it, he..."

CLIFF CLAVIN CHEERS 4328ratzenberger.jpeg

"...It's a little known fact that it was this bass-man, Mr Burton himself,
who spawned a whole syllabus of erudition that began with his teaching music,
but now encompasses all forms of scholarly enlightenment,
presently known collectively as 'CLIFF's NOTES'.
"

That works, if you have a rivet gun. Buffalo sure made some nice looking stuff.

I've seen it done a few different ways... Ground wire attached to the star washer under the 3PDT, negative battery spring pressing against the enclosure wall, wire wrapped around the 1/4" jack, I've even seen one where they just soldered a piece of solid core wire sticking up like an antenna so it touches the enclosure lid when it's on.

I have a bunch of those Cliff contacts on the way, it seems to be the easiest and less intrusive way for now.

That works, if you have a rivet gun. Buffalo sure made some nice looking stuff.

I've seen it done a few different ways... Ground wire attached to the star washer under the 3PDT, negative battery spring pressing against the enclosure wall, wire wrapped around the 1/4" jack, I've even seen one where they just soldered a piece of solid core wire sticking up like an antenna so it touches the enclosure lid when it's on.

I have a bunch of those Cliff contacts on the way, it seems to be the easiest and less intrusive way for now.

The Cliff washer is the absolute cleanest way I have ever been able to do it and since I have an I/O PCB, it's seamless.

The only issue I see with that is technically you don't want to make enclosure ground at more than one location.
It's grounded on both jacks just like PedalPCB Jacks are???
I'm not a fan when I see one jack with the Ground Lead missing!

It's grounded on both jacks just like PedalPCB Jacks are???
I'm not a fan when I see one jack with the Ground Lead missing!

We are getting into the weeds here and I'll not presume to be an expert on grounding, as even as an EE, grounding is black magic, but technically the enclosure is supposed to be grounded only at a single point.

It mostly does not matter, and as you pointed out, many projects essentially ground both jacks to the enclosure mechanically/physically.

The way I have been doing it is that both jacks are isolated from the enclosure, their respective ground leads go to the board and the Cliff EMI/RFI washer connects the enclosure to ground quite literally RIGHT at the input.

Does it matter? Probably not, but it is a fail-safe method and when you start selling to people all over the place (I've shipped to Australia, Canada, and EU this year), the last thing you want is a ground loop/issue you did not catch on the bench.

Back