Are these J201’s not desirable?

Perfectly fine. Just very expensive. The SMD package is much cheaper.
Gotcha. Wasn’t sure. I haven’t done any builds yet that utilize these but I was kind of under the impression that it was near impossible to find the through hole versions. Just doing some studying. Thanks for the reply

Gotcha. Wasn’t sure. I haven’t done any builds yet that utilize these but I was kind of under the impression that it was near impossible to find the through hole versions. Just doing some studying. Thanks for the reply
2n5457 and other through-hole JFETs are out of production. I think this may be the only current production TO-92 j201.

They are expensive compared to most of the other components and if one were building pedals at a production level the smd versions would be a no brainer. For personal use I don’t mind forking over a few more bucks unless every pedal I was doing called for these.

A lot of folks selling PCBs are including SMD pads no for JFETs. If that’s offered on a board you’re interested in, I’d recommend going that way. The conversion boards are a good workaround if TO-92 pads are the only footprint on the board.

It's worth checking surplus shops if you happen to have them in your area - I grabbed a handful of through-hole J201s for a chop chop build a few days ago for about $.50/ea.

Back