Arkaim fuzz transistor hfe

tacklebox455

I recently built the arkaim fuzz, I looked up the original bc338 hfe showed to be a Max of 600, I installed bc338-40 and in q1 the hfe is 435 and the other bc338 hfe is 485 and the 2n hfe is 500.
Is the hfe too high for this build should it be in the 300 range? The reason I ask is because with my current transistor selection it has a cocked wah esque and when I use the more heavy past 2 o'clock it's overloading to the point of sputtering.

Anyway any insight would be helpful.

I recently built the arkaim fuzz, I looked up the original bc338 hfe showed to be a Max of 600, I installed bc338-40 and in q1 the hfe is 435 and the other bc338 hfe is 485 and the 2n hfe is 500.
Is the hfe too high for this build should it be in the 300 range? The reason I ask is because with my current transistor selection it has a cocked wah esque and when I use the more heavy past 2 o'clock it's overloading to the point of sputtering.

Anyway any insight would be helpful.
For my build of the Arkaim I went with the BC338-16. They are more in the 100-200 hfe range and imo it sounds awesome. I haven't tried the 40's but I would assume that would be why you are experiencing the sputtering. FWIW, They are on sale right now at amplifiedparts.com

Hello @tacklebox455 and Welcome!

There was a phantom shillster posting in response to your OP, to which I reacted. The Shill-Poster's missive was deleted, so I hope you didn't think my response to the shill was to your OP (as @Betty Wont must have thought since my post was still up and the shill's gone) — since the shill has been ousted, I've deleted my response to the shill.

Now I know better. Just report the illegitimate posts, but don't respond to them. Sorry for any confusion.

Back to your hFE conundrum...

Back