B500k to B1M

Yeah I guess I will have to wait until the B1M pot comes in. GRRRRRRR.
Man what I started doing was ordering tons of bigger pots cause you can always make them smaller... so I just bought a lot of A1M’s and B1M’s... the reason I started doing it was my 100k’s which seem to be the most common were measuring like in the 80’s and 90’s so I started buying 500k’s and converting them so I could get exactly 100k or a little over..

If you put it in series you'll have a pot that sweeps from 500K - 1M.

This would be okay if you knew you'd always want Gain B to be higher than the maximum setting of Gain A.... but realistically you'll probably be happier if you wait for the 1M pot.

Let me look and see if I have a B1M, I'll be shipping an order to you Tuesday anyway. ☺

If you put it in series you'll have a pot that sweeps from 500K - 1M.

This would be okay if you knew you'd always want Gain B to be higher than the maximum setting of Gain A.... but realistically you'll probably be happier if you wait for the 1M pot.

Let me look and see if I have a B1M, I'll be shipping an order to you Tuesday anyway. ☺
That would be awesome! I will just wait.

Every time I order pots, I order extras. Sometime I even get lucky and have spares of the ones I need. Pots are so cheap and sometimes I'm padding an order just so the shipping cost is less than half the cost of the merchandise. OK, enough rambling, time for a beer.

Attachments

• DB071713-E05A-4E44-9953-B53B7B424FEE.jpeg
    DB071713-E05A-4E44-9953-B53B7B424FEE.jpeg
    473.2 KB · Views: 8
This method of paralleling a pot works if you are using the pot as a 2-terminal device, for instance the GAIN pots on the Stockade. Keep in mind that adding a parallel resistor will change the pot's taper. Let's use the Stockade example. We have a B1M pot and want a B500K pot for GAIN_A. You put a 1M resistor in parallel with a B1M pot. At the lower end of the gain range, the pot resistance is small compared to the parallel resistor, so the pot's linear taper is essentially unchanged. By the time we get to 5, the pot's resistance is 500K and the parallel resistor is 1M, so the total resistance is... Let's not all raise out hands at once... 333K. Which is 2/3 of the 500K total resistance. In other words, the first half of the pot's rotation has covered 2/3 of the resistance, leaving the second half of rotation for the other 1/3. As you continue to rotate the pot clockwise, it becomes less and less sensitive to rotation. The last 10% of rotation takes the pot's resistance from 900K to 1M, but it takes the total resistance from 474K to 500K, a 5% change in ressistance. This might actually be advantageous if you want to pot to act like it has a mild reverse audio taper. It will be a little easier to dial in the higher end of the gain range, at the expense of the lower end of the range. Just don't let it get out of hand, trying to make a 50K pot out of a 1M pot by putting a 53K in parallel won't work out too well.

Back