Bass Dude

Mike McLane

Just downloaded the build docs for the Bass Dude. Curious about the tone stack design. Markedly different from the 5F6A design in the Fender schems. You like this one better?

I'm not a EE, but the design looks "James-ian". That aside, a lot of stellar amps (blackface Fenders, DC30's, Dr. Z's) have no MID control. As I understand it these circuits carve out a space for the mids based on the crossover frequencies designed into the Treb & Bass filters and it obviously works just fine. I'm just interested in picking up some new knowledge.

If I remember right the schematic I originally used was for the 5D6, which is a few years before the famous 5F6 of 1959, which is when the mids control was added. It should be noted that the Fender mids control is "cut-only", so the only option the TMB stack gives you is less mids than the TB stack.

If I compare the schematic with the silkscreen, there are differences. f.i. R1 is 1k on the PCB, but 2k2 in the schematic. Seems, R1-8 is completely wrong, and there is no R7 and R8 in the schematic, but on the PCB. Which one to follow? @vigilante398

Last edited:
If I compare the schematic with the silkscreen, there are differences. f.i. R1 is 1k on the PCB, but 2k2 in the schematic. Seems, R1-8 is completely wrong, and there is no R7 and R8 in the schematic, but on the PCB. Which one to follow? @vigilante398
Definitely follow the silkscreen and not the schematic. I didn't even think about the designators, the power supply schematic was copy/pasted from whatever the first document I did was and those designators do not necessarily match the designators of the actual pedal. This is the actual schematic from the Bassdude power supply. I guess I should go through and fix everything.

Screenshot 2023-12-16 160715.png

Good observation!. vigilantes398 is always greatful if these things are bought to his attention & can be corrected.(y)

If I remember right the schematic I originally used was for the 5D6, which is a few years before the famous 5F6 of 1959, which is when the mids control was added. It should be noted that the Fender mids control is "cut-only", so the only option the TMB stack gives you is less mids than the TB stack.
Does this mean that using the Bassdude as a preamp it has more of the "tweed" sound than the Black panel era?

Oh no! Finished the dude today, plugged in - and absolutely no noise. Ahhhhhh.
Bypass is fine, LEDs are on, NE555 and transistor are plugged in … sigh … now it's off to find the error

... got it. The morning is wiser then the evening. Maybe, a wire-snippet was making a contact. Its working now. But not, what I expected. I expected some clean tone - but its distorting quite early. Is this right?

... got it. The morning is wiser then the evening. Maybe, a wire-snippet was making a contact. Its working now. But not, what I expected. I expected some clean tone - but its distorting quite early. Is this right?
It does have a fair amount of drive to it, but you should be able to keep it clean (depending on your pickups) with the gain low, like around 9-10 o'clock.

@vigilante398 do
considering the fact that it’s also TB only, I’m guessing tge 6G6-B is probably similar to the 5D6. Looks similar based on the very pixelated schematics I’ve found, but I haven’t found anything remotely legible yet to see if any values are different.
Definitely interested in this more now though since the 6G6-B (Brownface/Blonde Bassman) was Macca’s guitar/bass amp of choice during the majority of the Beatles’ studio-only years, and I believe also what Alex Chilton used for much of the second Big Star record.

Finished this last night and just had a good test this morning. Plugged into the power amp input of my old Peavey combo (2 x 6L6 and 2 x 12" drivers) it sounds incredible, plenty of clean/gritty space but with the gain maxed it definitely dooms on a C standard guitar with some old ECC83s (12AX7)

Tried the pair of ECC802s I got for the Nobel build (long plate 12AU7) and it sounds pretty good as a clean but rich preamp. Will be going with ECC83 for maximum doom though.

Hey there,
Finished the Bassdude about 20mns ago. No sound, no light, I am reading voltages though. What should I check ? All solders seem fine and clean. I am obviously missing something.
Here is a picture if anyone has an idea, thank you !

Attachments

• IMG_0613.jpeg
    IMG_0613.jpeg
    568.4 KB · Views: 32
Back