Best projects for doom metal?

The QM is a basically a 250 with a befuddling eq tacked on and two wasted op amp stages. I don’t think I’d recommend going that route—a better designed realization of that aim, sure, but not using the FSB trace schematic.
Do tell!
I don't know if the actual electronics layout sucks or no, but I do like my BAT pedal

I actually get better Mike Scheidt tones using a Bluesdriver and an EQ, though, come to think of it

For me, doom and that genre is a little subjective. If you want to jam on some Electric Wizard, Monolord, Windhand, etc the Parenthesis and Hyped Fuzz will cover most of that. If you just want that wall of fuzz it's hard to beat a Muffin with Green Russian specs, Arkaim Fuzz, Bayonet Fuzz, Ionizer2, just to name a few. It's all about how you use it imo

The QM is a basically a 250 with a befuddling eq tacked on and two wasted op amp stages. I don’t think I’d recommend going that route—a better designed realization of that aim, sure, but not using the FSB trace schematic.
I built the quantum mystic on Vero according to the dirtbox layouts version. I like it for doom stuff but it needs to be driving something else. I use it with a rat mostly

I saw a cool Vero layout for a 250 using discrete op amps. Looks interesting 🧐

Any more non-PPCB builds? I’ve exhausted most of the options from them. I’m also especially curious about clones of anything by Dunwich.

Deadend FX Brass Monkey, (Devi Silver Rose clone) - Superfuzz and Opamp Muff in parallel, you can blend the two together and then there's tone, presence, and a clean blend after that.
Here's a taste on bass.

From Dunwich, I'd say the Wizard Fuzz might be your best bet.
Or the Fuzz Throne, Fuzzdog has that one.

I auditioned my pedals this evening.

Cream puff made it near the top of the doomage.

The Sergeant fuzz could also be an interesting choice.

The other "doom" pedal I built was the cleric, which is okay but I don't think it adds much over the arkaim.

But like the person said, it's a lot in how you play and what kind of sound you're looking for. I mean... Iommi was nothing but a Laney and a boost.

Deadend FX Brass Monkey, (Devi Silver Rose clone) - Superfuzz and Opamp Muff in parallel, you can blend the two together and then there's tone, presence, and a clean blend after that.
Here's a taste on bass.

From Dunwich, I'd say the Wizard Fuzz might be your best bet.
Or the Fuzz Throne, Fuzzdog has that one.
Same guys, different Superfuzz! I'm partial to their version of the Last Gasp Arts Labs 46 Sooperfuzz

SHILLELAGH

Do tell!
I don't know if the actual electronics layout sucks or no, but I do like my BAT pedal

I actually get better Mike Scheidt tones using a Bluesdriver and an EQ, though, come to think of it
The QM uses four op amp stages where only two are required:
  • Stage 1: Provides the gain that drives the hard-clipping diodes. This is the same as the 250.
  • Stage 2: Unnecessary 26dB boost. The next stage is an active filter that doesn't introduce insertion loss. Omit that and a coupling cap.
  • Stage 3: Part of the active filter network.
  • Stage 4: Extra op amp stage being used as a non-inverting voltage follower because ???
In re the filter stage, the architecture looks okay, but the values seem strange to me. Does it perform well and seem reasonably tuned? Is this thing incredibly loud?

I had to look up the schematic. That R8 1m could have just been a pot for the output volume then they could have ditched that last op amp stage altogether. Maybe it was designed with the germanium diodes in mind and they stuck the other diodes on a switch as an afterthought? I'm not that familiar with YOB.

Circling back, some of the best tones I ever had for the low and heavies was an HM-2 (highs turned down to just below chainsaw peak lol) running after a BAT Black Forest (which is a modded coloursound overdriver). I keep meaning to make a combo pedal of that with an order switcher. They go great together. I think I have a recording somewhere of them with my amp just cookin, I’ll dig.

(Also if anyone wants a BDE board or the full deal pedal itself let me know. I will definitely give some deep friend/member deals on a built one! Or trade for something you made. End of shameless plug.)

Back